The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yo, Banner Me O' Plenty! (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=3905)

Morgan 02-04-2008 01:00 AM

Yo, Banner Me O' Plenty!

Geek Advertising Banner System

Features

This system is designed to manage static banners, flash banners, rotating image banners, text ads (i.e., Google Adsense), and even butter your freaking toast when you feel like it. Okay, not butter your toast, but there is a detailed readme file that comes with the package.
GAB Key Features
  • Track ad impressions and clickthroughs
  • Set start and expiration dates for ads
  • Show ads to specific usergroups
  • Allow specific usergroups to turn off ads
  • Use image, Flash, text/HTML (e.g., Google Adsense)
Issues

Yeah, yeah, not 100% phrased. Also, new installs of old versions required the following action (because for some odd reason, not doing so could cause an error): After a fresh installation, make sure you save your MASTER script (AdminCP -> GAB Manager -> Scripts -> MASTER -> Save). Nothing was obvious as to the cause of that problem, but if you happen to experience it, save your MASTER script and report the problem.

Installation
  • Copy the files included with this package into their corresponding folders on your server, overwriting existing files.
  • Import the product-gab.xml file via the ACP (AdminCP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Add/Import Product).
  • Make sure to CHMOD the /geek/gab/images directory so that it has 777 permissions so that you are able to upload banners.

Tigratrus 02-04-2008 01:42 AM

Yea!
::scampers off to download new version for testbed::

TheComputerGuy 02-04-2008 01:49 AM

this is neato.

Tigratrus 02-04-2008 01:59 AM

Oh boy. *Thank you* for the readme! That's sooooo much better... And if I read it right you fixed our problem with being able to simply add members to an "Advertising free group" and have the adds turn off automatically. Yay! I don't have to do any profile field slight of hand!

Morgan, you're our hero... Assuming all works out on our test server, this will totally be the answer to a project Susan's tasked me with that I've been dreading. Thanks!

James and Susan

RaceJunkie 02-04-2008 02:15 AM

Is there anywhere that this can be seen in use yet?

Morgan 02-04-2008 02:38 AM

Thanks for the thanks. :D

@Tigratrus: Swuueeeeet that you read the readme. Ha ha, I spent the majority of today re/writing the dang thing, and yes, if you set no profile field, no ads show to those usergroups, assuming said persons are not in 'additional usergroup' that cannot turn off ads. Same goes for those usergroups that view ads; if persons are in a usergroup that cannot view ads, but are in an 'additional usergroup' that can view ads, said persons see ads. Think of it this way: tick marks rule across all usergroups.

@RaceJunkie: GAB is currently running below the navbar on this site, but you have 'Adverts?' set to 'Naaaaa' here, so you cannot see them.

RaceJunkie 02-04-2008 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan (Post 22908)
@RaceJunkie: GAB is currently running below the navbar on this site, but you have 'Adverts?' set to 'Naaaaa' here, so you cannot see them.

Heheh Thanks, did not know that.

Will there be any examples of it with banners inserted into threads and such, like every X amount of posts a banner shows?

tester 02-04-2008 03:15 AM

Which versions of vbulletin does this work with?
EDIT: Oops. I see it works with 3.6.x and 3.7.x.

RaceJunkie 02-04-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tester (Post 22918)
Which versions of vbulletin does this work with?
EDIT: Oops. I see it works with 3.6.x and 3.7.x.

GAB requires vBulletin 3.6.x or vBulletin 3.7.x.

MichelleB 02-04-2008 05:40 AM

Does it also handle people signing up to advertise? Can it display ads according to how many impressions they bought?