The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New GAL version is here! (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=3834)

Morgan 01-20-2008 11:26 PM

New GAL version is here!

Well folks, the new version of GAL is here. No worse the wear on this end, save those all-nighters. :p

Features

Auto-link keywords. Change keyword category, dictionary, status, and more from one AdminCP page. Filter by category. Choose templates and regular expressions to use. Lots of permissions. Statistics for tracking impressions and clickthroughs. Works with GARS. More.

Click here to see how it looks in posts. Click here to see the front-end script.

Issues

Non-post items may not auto-link. Ajax quick replies may not auto-link. Non-post auto-links experimental and done on the fly. For posts, you can Rebuild Post Cache but it is intensive. Do not go overboard. Lack of documentation. Not 100% phrased.

Installation
  • Copy the files included with this package into the corresponding directories on your server. Overwrite existing GAL files. Make sure that the contents in /forums/images gets copied into each of your style's images directory.
  • Upload the product-gal.xml file via the vB AdminCP product manager. This will install the required database tables, templates, plugins, phrases, etcetera.
  • Make sure that the /geek/gal/images directory is CHMOD to 0777 for uploading images.
  • Give your AdminCP a hard refresh (e.g., Ctrl-F5) if you do not see the side menu after installation. Go to the vB AdminCP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Settings and fill in the options.
  • Click through all the GAL AdminCP pages to familiarize yourself with the options and settings. Note that dictionaries have permissions, categories have permissions, and there are more permissions to be found by following the Permissions link in the side menu.
  • Add the following CSS declarations to your vB AdminCP style CSS settings (Styles & Templates -> Stye Manager -> Main CSS -> Scroll to the bottom of the page -> Add the following in the lower Additional CSS Definitions box):
    Code:

/* GAL Defns */
    a.gal:link
    {
            text-decoration: none;
            border-bottom: 1px dotted #016798;
            color: #016798;
            padding: 0 0 0 12px;
            background: url(images/misc/exlinkon.gif) no-repeat 0;
    }
    a.gal:visited
    {
            text-decoration: none;
            border-bottom: 1px dotted #016798;
            background: url(images/misc/exlinkon.gif) no-repeat 0;
    }
    a.gal:hover, a.gal:active
    {
            text-decoration: underline;
            border-bottom: 0px dotted #F8BF24;
            background: url(images/misc/exlink.gif) no-repeat 0;
    }

• Note that any "word" character (\w), apostrophe ('), and dash (-) are allowed in keywords.
  • Do not allow just anyone to use HTML! You do not want someone wreaking unnecessary havoc.
  • Choose keywords wisely. Make meaningful selections. Do not auto-link common words. It is undue overhead.
  • If you wish to use GARS and GAL together, you will need to grab the GARS package and FTP the /geek/gars/includes/gars_class_edit.php file.

ang2el 01-21-2008 12:48 AM

Thanks for this wonderful release, I am testing:D

Tigratrus 01-21-2008 01:02 AM

Double Super Yea! Heh... Gothic's gonna explode with joy. He's been waiting a looooong time for this.

Thanks Morgan!

James and Susan

KenDude 01-21-2008 01:16 AM

I saw a system similar to GAL on another web forum where the pop-up window had an RSS feed in it, is that something GAL can do?

calvis 01-21-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

Issues

Non-post items may not auto-link. Ajax quick replies may not auto-link. Non-post auto-links experimental and done on the fly. For posts, you can Rebuild Post Cache but it is intensive. Do not go overboard. Lack of documentation. Not 100% phrased.
Those are some pretty serious issues. Most of my users use quick replies.

Morgan 01-21-2008 01:27 AM

See http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2804 for more information about Ajax and auto-links.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Geek (Post 16225)
... Please note that GAL will cache your quickpost posts - but will not show the results after the AJAX update. This is a limitation with the ajax display (you cant hook into it).

miyukichii 01-21-2008 01:42 AM

Looks nice ] I can't wait for GAB to be released *-* if i am not mistaken, GAB is to add advertising banners right ? Just like using vbadvanced, add extra blocks ? I hope it is easy to use.

calvis 01-21-2008 01:48 AM

OK, so it will show after the update...if that is the case then that is not a deal breaker.

Hornstar6969 01-21-2008 02:00 AM

Looks like only GAB auto linked, the other 2 didn't.

Morgan 01-21-2008 02:02 AM

They would have linked. Try it yourself. Make a quick reply, and then go to another page and then come back. Didn't want to clutter this thread with test posts:

GARS GAB GAL

Edit:

GARS GAB GAL
GARS GAL GAB
GAB GARS GAL
GAB GAL GARS
GAL GAB GARS
GAL GARS GAB

Edit2:

GARS bunny GAB bunny GAL
GARS bunny GAL bunny GAB
GAB bunny GARS bunny GAL
GAB bunny GAL bunny GARS
GAL bunny GAB bunny GARS
GAL bunny GARS bunny GAB

Edit3:

Well that just blows.

Edit 4:

Just goes to prove how freaking tired I am... I had GAL (the program) set to not auto-link GARS and GAL (the keywords) in this thread. I have now switched GAL (the program) to not auto-link this entire forum. GAL (the script) is running a-okay so far.