The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Geek Auto-Linker (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   GAL 5.0 Beta 4 Release Discussion (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2804)

The Geek 02-03-2007 12:28 PM

GAL 5.0 Beta 4 Release Discussion

This thread relates to the release of GAL 5.0 Beta 4 and contains important installing, upgrading and configuration information. Please read the thread before installing, upgrading or configuring.

*Edit - read http://www.thevbgeek.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=61 for an important announcement regarding GAL

It is important to note that this is a Beta product which means that it is an unstable release. Use with caution before implimenting on a live site.

Please do not use this thread to report bugs, use the bug tracker so I can make sure I address them.

Sice Beta 3:
  • I have fixed many bugs :)
  • I have introduced 2 new category settings: X and Y offset. These help to offset the popup according to their values (which can be positive or negative values).
  • I have introduced a new global setting called 'Decay'. This is the amount of ticks that will take place before the natural close of a popup. This prevents most 'flickering' while moving your mouse over links. It is best to play around with this figure to get the best results as it corresponds to your other settings. Here, the setting is 1000. Note that this setting is only applied to Follow and hover popups.
Stuff still to do:
  • Statistic reporter. GAL is still recording the stats, but there is no way to view them yet.
  • Extend usage for non post pages. This functionality is in there, but I am working on a new API for this.
  • Modeation qeue. I am working on a better way to see all items in moderation qeue.
Installation and upgrade:
  • Upload all files from upload folder of the the Beta 4 package (choosing to overwrite existing files) to your forum directory.
  • Make sure that geek/gal/images is chmodded to 0777 for uploading of images.
  • Import the product xml into vBulletins product importer (choosing to overwrite existing installation if upgrading).
Configruation:
  • Edit each cateogry and make sure you have the forums ticked that you want GAL to use.
  • Edit your settings and make sure everything is accurate in there. As an FYI, I am using the following popup settings here (but change as you feel is appropriate):
    • Open Steps: 5
    • Tick Count: 10
    • Tick Steps: 10
    • Decay: 1000
Make sure that you also tick the showthread page setting at the bottom of your settings page. Otherwise GAL will not work on showthread pages.

Please note that GAL will cache your quickpost posts - but will not show the results after the AJAX update. This is a limitation with the ajax display (you cant hook into it).

nJoy

Fleabag 02-03-2007 10:29 PM

Congrats on the hard work Sam! Regretfully I don't have much spare time to get to work on applying it. It's been a while since I've had GAL running full scale! Job sucks up too much time. Any jobs going in your company? An expert in customer service is at your beck and call. ;) LOL :)

Nitro 02-04-2007 03:51 AM

Had to refresh this page for the two GAL'd words in the above post to function properly with the popup.

"Extend usage for non post pages. This functionality is in there, but I am working on a new API for this." <-- Does that refer to external type integration ?

Would love a hint on that if so as I have so many places to look at adding it in vbPortal becasue of its heer size of posting functionality as a product. :)

tanyeri24 02-04-2007 10:21 PM

Hi, nice job. I hope the final release coming soon :)

The Geek 02-04-2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleabag (Post 16239)
Congrats on the hard work Sam! Regretfully I don't have much spare time to get to work on applying it. It's been a while since I've had GAL running full scale! Job sucks up too much time. Any jobs going in your company? An expert in customer service is at your beck and call. ;) LOL :)

hehe. THink Im going to need staff soon! Youre at the top of my list flea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitro (Post 16249)
Had to refresh this page for the two GAL'd words in the above post to function properly with the popup.

Not sure why that would happen, nor have I ever seen it happen yet?

Quote:

"Extend usage for non post pages. This functionality is in there, but I am working on a new API for this." <-- Does that refer to external type integration ?
Yes :)

ang2el 02-05-2007 01:59 AM

Error encountered

I got the following error

Fatal error: Class 'GAL_vb_db' not found in *********************forums/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_admin.php on line 784

ang2el 02-05-2007 02:13 AM

I went back to 4.81

gothic 02-05-2007 04:27 AM

Installed it on one of my dev machines a couple of days ago, still can't get it to work :(

Did an upgrade first on mirrored site, then clean install........ maybe I'm just too old or tired :eek:

The Geek 02-05-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ang2el (Post 16284)
I got the following error

Fatal error: Class 'GAL_vb_db' not found in *********************forums/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_admin.php on line 784

Angel - Make sure you uploaded all of the files

Gothic - make sure that the 'show on showthread pages' option in your settings is ticked and that each of your categories have all of your forums ticked.

HTHs

gothic 02-05-2007 09:37 AM

Sam, ignore that last...... I'm a stupid sod sometimes :o
Entirely my fault, working perfectly.