The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Geek Article and Review System (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Users name to post as "Guest" (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4857)

h2ojunkie 12-05-2008 03:51 AM

Users name to post as "Guest"

How hard would it be to add support to allow the Users name to post as field to be Guest or userid 0?

I tried the following, but it just ended up posting the article under the userid I was logged in as

Code:

if ($this->settings['ugs_able_to_post_as_other_users'])
                    {
                                if (is_member_of($this->vb->userinfo, $this->settings['ugs_able_to_post_as_other_users']))
                                {
                                      if ($this->vb->GPC['GARS_post_as'])
                                        {
if ($this->vb->GPC['GARS_post_as'] == "Guest") { $postasid = 0; }
else {

$result = $this->db->query_first("SELECT userid FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "user WHERE
                                                        username ='" . $this->db->escape_string($this->vb->GPC['GARS_post_as']) . "'
                                                ");

if (!$result['userid'])
                                        {
                                                $errors[] = construct_phrase($this->vbphrase['GARS_err_no_user'],$this->vb->GPC['GARS_post_as']);
                                        }
                                        else
                                        {
                                                $postasid = intval($result['userid']);
                                        }
                                        }
}
                                }
                    }

Morgan 12-05-2008 04:23 PM

Not sure, haven't done it, but you might run into a problem as guests have userid of zero and do not have an entry in the vB user table. You'd probably need to change more than that code, i.e., look for post_as_id for other locations in the code.

h2ojunkie 12-06-2008 06:32 PM

I tried your suggestions and made a couple more edits to gars_class_core.php with no luck there either

Code:

$data = unserialize($result['data']);
                                        if ($data['post_as_id'])
                                        {
if ($data['post_as_id'] == 0) {
$username = "Unregistered";
} else {

$username = $this->db->query_first("SELECT username FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "user
                                                                        WHERE userid = " . intval($data['post_as_id'])
                                                                );
}
                                        }

It appears to be saving the data to gars>data:
Code:

a:5:{s:7:"post_as";s:12:"Unregistered";s:10:"post_as_id";i:0;s:6:"gal_id";N;s:12:"gal_keywords";s:0:"";s:8:"gal_text";s:0:"";}
But not so lucky with the thread and post tables.

Any suggestions for what I might be missing?

P.S. I changed to using "Unregistered" instead of "Guest"

Morgan 12-07-2008 01:51 AM

The GARS post as another user feature was coded with the assumption that the other user is a member and not a guest. The are two ways that I see ATM to post as a guest. One is to sift through the code and make the necessary changes. As I haven't done this, the only way to really approach it would be to go through all the code and see what needs to be changed and where. The other way would be to create another member account and post under that user name, and then use a template conditional to change what gets displayed in the postbit based on the userid of the "guest" user account.

h2ojunkie 12-07-2008 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan (Post 27109)
The other way would be to create another member account and post under that user name, and then use a template conditional to change what gets displayed in the postbit based on the userid of the "guest" user account.

Hey!..that's a good idea. I'll do that.

Thanks!