The vB Geek

The vB Geek (http://www.thevbgeek.com/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ad after first post (http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2952)

The Geek 03-08-2007 05:05 PM

Ad after first post

Getting GAB to appear in between x amount of posts is simple and easy.

This tutorial assumes that you have GAB set up and configured (including the banner you want to show).

1. Create a plug in.

Since posts are created in a private function within vB, you must scope $GAB_ads. That way, your $GAB_ads[x] variable will be available in your postbits. We will also scope $counter which increases by one for each visible post on that page.

go to admincp->Plugins & Products->Add new plugin

Product: vBulletin (or GAB)
Hook Location: postbit_display_start
Title: GAB ad between posts
Plugin PHP code:
PHP Code:

global $GAB_ads$counter

Plugin is active: Yes

2. Modify your postbit template (this is the postbit or postbit_legacy template, whichever one you are using).

We need to stick a conditional at the end of the postbit that says 'if this is the first post, then show $GAB_ads[x]. Note that you will need to change the x in $GAB_ads[x] to denote the billboard you are using (see admincp->gab->scripts->MASTER script to see which billboard is assigned). Also note that you can change the $counter == 1 in the statement below to denote where to show the banner. For instance if it were change to 3, then a banner would appear after the third post on the page.

Place the following HTML at the very end of your postbit:

HTML Code:

<if condition="$counter == 1"><if condition="THIS_SCRIPT!='private'"><div style="padding-top:5px">$GAB_ads[x]</div></if></if>
Note that I have put in a provision so that the banner will NOT appear after a private message. Depending on your style and the size of the banners, the sidebar in the usercp can whack out the look.

HTHs!

phlogiston 04-12-2007 12:39 AM

I spent half an hour trying to figure this myself then two minutes searching vbgeek.com for an answer and about thirty seconds implementing this.

Works like a charm :D

MotMann 01-30-2008 11:37 PM

And what i must do, that the banner after the third Post displayed again?

Hoffi 02-10-2008 09:13 AM

You did not use $counter if you use this if-Condition insted of the two from thegeek.:
HTML Code:

<if condition="THIS_SCRIPT == 'showthread' AND !$GLOBALS['FIRSTPOSTID']">

powerful_rogue 09-17-2008 12:39 PM

Ive got this working so it shows after the 1st post. What would I need to add to get ti to show again after the last post?

Morgan 09-17-2008 03:23 PM

Untested but instead of FIRSTPOSTID try using LASTPOSTID in its place.

powerful_rogue 09-17-2008 03:31 PM

Is that as well as or instead of - <if condition="$counter == 1"><if condition="THIS_SCRIPT!='private'"><div style="padding-top:5px">$GAB_ads[x]</div></if></if>

Morgan 09-17-2008 03:46 PM

On second thought, LASTPOSTID isn't known until after all the postbits have been processed, so the best you can probably do is to add $GAB_ads[X] to the vB ad_showthread_beforeqr template.

ichatfilipina 03-10-2009 09:42 AM

$GAB_ads[X] - dont use capital X.. should use small letter x like this [x]. Remember: case-sensitive.