The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 
Default Pre Sale Questions

Just a few more questions Morgan..
  • Is it possible to change the number of replies on a per forum/gars section basis? Usually on editorial content the comments are set to either display all or equally large amounts such as 50 or 100 per page.
  • Can users RSS subscribe to a category (in effect to its forums too). Again, on an editorial site users expect the option to be able to subscribe to a certain 'topic' (which from our perspective as admins, may span a few forum sections or all sections within a category). It doesn't matter if we have to put the link into a template ourselves - we just need the ability to do it. (maybe by adding something like '&from=23,34,12,' to the feed url - where the numbers are category or forum ids).

If these are not currently possible, is there any chance you could include them in the next update? I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,
Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The number of replies is controlled by 'Maximum Displayed Posts Before Page Split' and 'User-Settable Maximum Displayed Posts' in vB just like regular showthread pages. There is a multi-page example at here. Similarly, RSS is controlled by vB and forumids can be added to the query string to limit feeds to specific forums (see here for an example). At this point I cannot say what will/won't be in a new version. The remaining geek scripts need to first be finished.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Hi Morgan - I'm meant can we change the number of replies/comments to show on a per forum basis in GARS sections - indepenantly of what the 'normal' vB forums have been set to? (In vB it's just one global setting I think).

Re RSS feeds, I know about the forumIDs in the url, but if I set up a feed for all the sections in the editorial side of my site that will be around 50 forum ids in the link, that is not so bad in itself, it's the fact that it becomes the description of the feed - is just horrible for the end user, and doesn't look very professional. If we could susbcribe to just a category (with all forums inside it) there would just be 1 in there. Hence wondering if it's something you've thought about adding to GARS given that it is more of use to articles/editorial stuff than normal forums.

Also, is it possible to change the ratings to say allow a score out of 10?

Is there an admin CP demo of Gars around anywhere?

Cheers,
Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

No, there is no option to set how many posts get shown. The vB settings mentioned in post two are used. No, there are also no GARS specific RSS options. Yes, you can set a 1 to 10 rating scale. No, there is no ACP demo, but there are some screenshots here.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams