The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Modifications > Add-ons

Add-ons Modifications and add-ons for vB Geek stuff.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Comment

Release Tools Display Modes

Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Link Directory

GARS 2.1.8m users see http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread.php?t=3756

Make...

Last edited by Morgan; 01-05-2008 at 09:26 PM..
By The Geek on 09-03-2006, 04:28 PM

Thanks. Done it.
By Loco on 09-04-2006, 06:07 AM

very cool
might have a use for this one too
By gothic on 09-04-2006, 12:02 PM

Right then. Updated to GARS 2.0RC5 and configured. On my dev box here in my offices all works perfectly
When I do same on one of my active forums, GARS works perfectly, but the Link mod still gets in a huff because of 'safe-mode=on'
You thought about a workround yet Sam please??
By The Geek on 09-04-2006, 03:00 PM

Not yet mate. Sorry
By gothic on 09-05-2006, 07:27 PM

The way I understand it is that with safe-mode=on, the script itself has to own the folder/file for it to be able to manipulate it.
Would it be possible to just use a pre-formed folder (temp/tmp/etc) within the gars/images folder tree to upload the image to??

I'm not trying to teach ma to suck eggs, and it must be remembered I understand php not, but I have just spent almost 20 hours doing a study into the phenomena that is safe-bloody-mode Still don't fully understand it, but have a few documents here if they are of any use to you .. let me know.
Thankyou
By The Geek on 09-05-2006, 10:19 PM

If the geek/gars/images folder is owned by the same owner as the geek scripts, it should work without a problem. Im not sure about using a pre existing system folder. Sorry
By gothic on 09-06-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
If the geek/gars/images folder is owned by the same owner as the geek scripts, it should work without a problem. Im not sure about using a pre existing system folder. Sorry
Nope, your script drags the image in to the global /tmp folder (owned by the user logged in, in my case 1) then it tries to copy, paste over to the gars/images/? folder then delete the original, it's during that stage it changes ownership.
By The Geek on 09-06-2006, 06:49 AM

but the copy should be owned by whoever is running the process. If you make 1 the owner of geek/gars/images that should be fine shouldnt it?
By Lizard King on 09-06-2006, 07:02 AM

Geek is there anything i need to do expect importing the xml and follow the steps after that ?

The thumbnails are not working correctly. I tried couple times but nop.

In the snap modules i changed the url to http://open.thumbshots.org/image.pxf?url= but no good unfortunately.

http://www.ayyas.com/citir-linkler/ here is the details
Last edited by Lizard King; 09-06-2006 at 10:05 AM..
By gothic on 09-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
but the copy should be owned by whoever is running the process. If you make 1 the owner of geek/gars/images that should be fine shouldnt it?
No, the way I understand it is that the global /tmp (as in the 'Safe Mode Temporary Directory' in vB settings) is automatically owned by the user (admin) or the STARTER of the script, therefore the first part, grabbing the image from the 3rd party server, works perfectly well. It's the next stage, GARS wants to manipulate the image, and copy/paste/delete original that the GARS script actually takes over ownership, which safe mode definitely frowns upon.

If you look at the error code generated:
Code:
Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 533 is not allowed to access /tmp/geekn2zWUt owned by uid 48 in /geek/gars/mods/persist/snap.php on line 40

Warning: fopen(/tmp/geekn2zWUt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /geek/gars/mods/persist/snap.php on line 40

Warning: copy() [function.copy]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 533 is not allowed to access /tmp/geekn2zWUt owned by uid 48 in /geek/gars/includes/gars_functions_image.php on line 208
The GARS script id (533) is trying it's hardest to steal ownership of the uploaded file (thumb) owned by me id (48)
I still feel that if we could dispense with the third person (the global /tmp folder) and shift the 'grabbed' image straight into the geek/gars/image/???? folder, it should work. In other words, keep it all 'in-house' so to speak, all under the GARS umbrella.
What do you reckon??
Comment

Release Tools