The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-08-2006, 06:41 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Copy Thread Inline Moderation

Is anyone else missing the "copy thread" inline moderation function in thier GARS forums. Does such a tool exist? I don't think this is a GARS problem necessarily, but I just want to see if other GARS users have this problem. I can copy a post, but I can't copy a thread...
Old 09-09-2006, 03:07 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Okay, I was looking in the wrong place. I see the copy thread in the "thread tools" section of the threadview.

I have a new question now...

The move thread function can moves an entire GARS thread to different forums. It also takes all the custom fields with it.

However, the copy thread does not move the custom fields to a new forum. Is it possible to do this?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hmmm. I would have to investigate further in order to say yay or nay. Ill let you know
Old 09-09-2006, 01:08 PM

This is extremely helpful in allowing inline moderation of GARS entries. When dealing with link directories and resource lists it's good sometimes to have moderation. However there is no versioning of threads for vb and the copy function would allow me to devise a versioning system by dumping all newly created GARS entries into a separate forum. Then by copying into the correct directory (forum) you keep the original entry untouched in case there is a problem.

Hopefully if my scheme goes as I envision it, I'll be able to post a hack (if that's what you'd call it).
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Just out of cusiosity - why not just set all new posts to be moderated?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:35 AM

As far as I know, moderating threads does not keep a version of what was initially submitted. I need to keep the initial version of all new threads in my resource directory with the username of the person who submitted it.

Once it goes into my universal moderation queue (a separate forum titled "submit a thread") I can copy the thread, make the changes I need, change the author and catalog in the proper forum.

It also allows me to restrict the use of BBcode in the initial thread posting, yet once it is sorted to another thread, users who review the thread can use BBcode. GARS basically creates a small advertorial webpage for vendors. By restricting BBcode, and being able to change the author, I create a model for a premium listing, where I can hand authorship over to the vendor and allow them to post BBcode rich listings. Text listings are free, premium ones are paid.

I also have an "edit thread" forum where anyone (users and vendors) can suggest edits to a listing. It is the same thing as the "submit a listing" forum, a moderated forum where I can keep track of who made what editing suggestions.

I'm new to vb, so if there is a better way to do what I need, great! Suggest away, I'm all ears.

Does any of this make sense?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:52 AM

Yes, it does