The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-31-2008, 04:54 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default GAL on large forums

I noticed in the cart that it said GAL is not for large forums. What constitutes large, and are there any plans to make it compatible with large forums?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Large is hard to specify, as it depends on what hardware you have supporting your site, how much traffic you get, etcetera. To use thevbgeek.com as an example, GAL works okay with the current traffic, hardware, and stats:
Code:
Threads: 3,392, Posts: 20,799, Members: 3,992
The current GAL 6 release is from the GAL 5 code. Before The Geek left, he was working on a different GAL 6 that was to be better optimized. There is a thread about it and its possible release here but currently I do not have a copy of that code and cannot tell you if/when I'd get a copy or if/when a new GAL release would be made.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 02-01-2008, 01:37 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

We have pretty beefy hardware. We are running 4.8 and haven't had any problems so far.

Current stats:
Members: 8,071
Threads: 24,342

That said, we'd still be interested in the most efficient version possible.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hopefully someone with a larger board, who has updated from v.4.8 to v.6.0 can give you some feedback. I started with the GAL 5 code base and haven't looked at the GAL 4 code base to see what extra weight was added. My guess is that rebuilding post cache could be a problem so if I were you, I'd consider waiting until/if/when I get a copy of The Geek's GAL 6 but it may take a looong time, assuming I get a copy, before a new release is available.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 02-02-2008, 12:18 AM

According to my Admin CP my forums have a server load average between 0.5 and 2.5 usually

Code:
Members: 4,663
Threads: 12,921
I have around 100 entries in GAL if that makes much of a difference.

Currently running GAL 6.02
Old 02-02-2008, 02:08 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

I know it's not much of a help...

I've used to run (about 2-2.5 year ago) GAL for a few weeks on our board and at that time there was a considerable slowdown (thus I removed it). Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the new code bases...

Members: 140,147
Threads: 123,894

Last edited by goyo; 02-02-2008 at 12:29 PM..
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

I am running it and it's working fine so far.....

www.lets-yada-yada-yada.com

Threads: 128,690
Members: 6,769
Old 04-02-2008, 12:22 AM

call me a noob but why should you not use this on large forums?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:28 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Because it adds 4 or 5 queries on showthread pages
Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 AM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

here's a thought...why not create a version of GAL which puts the actual BBCode for links into the posts after the "edit" time expires for users to edit their posts? this way there will be no extra queries at all. it's a static link and not actually querying during each post view.