The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Articles with HTML not displaying properly

Some of my articles have HTML and they do not display properly in the articles selection area.

Quote:
Contributed by: Jerry

<CENTER>Jerry's Pickup Checklist

</CENTER>

This is a compilation of many other lists I
found searching the archives especially the Motley Fool list, and
another list (starting with get a "Port Check" and also "look under the
damn car" :-) that I was unable to determine an
instead of the formatting.

it looks outstanding on the individual articles page.

thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 02:13 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Does the forum the article is in allow HTML?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:22 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

yes. the article itself looks good. its the 'Directory' of articles if you will that shows the html code includied in the top of the article, instead of the top of the article as is shown on the actual GARS article page....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.JPG (166.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg directory.JPG (146.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by drex; 01-14-2006 at 04:31 PM..
Old 01-14-2006, 09:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Oh right. herm. Going to have to run some tests on that one. The key reason I did away with auto parsing the first x characters of the thread were because it was impossible to create a routine that matched all potential broken tags out there (not without bringing you server to its knees anyway). Thats why the Synopsis box exists. Personally, I would simply put what info you want to appear there in your synopsis box. It is the best and cleanest way of doing it

HTHs
Old 01-14-2006, 10:58 PM

that's not a problem. so if we put material in the article's synopsis's box, that will display correctly (if not html)?

that would be perfect.

also, i thought there was a way to make GARS select a/(the first) picture in the post to be the post picture, but i haven't figured out how to do that yet..

thanks geek!

Last edited by drex; 01-15-2006 at 03:45 AM..
Old 01-15-2006, 08:38 AM

The old GAS system allowed you to use the first attachment as the header image - how3ever that increased the query count far too much for my liking (on forumdisplay, it caused an additional query per thread!). Anyway, I figured if someone can upload an picture as an attachment, they can do it for the header image

Anyway, yes if you use the synopsis box, you can use bbcode or just regular text to get what youre after.

HTHs
Old 01-15-2006, 08:27 PM

it rocks.

customizing it now.

thanks a lot, vbg!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

There has to be an easier way than this....

I'm using the ArticleBot RSS, and everything is PERFECT with 10+ news feeds, but the google feed only looks good in HTML, and is converted poorly to BBcode if HTML is off....

I cant really customize the RSS hack to insert a synopsis or byline...

How can I get the forumdisplay to render the HTML for one specific forum on forumdisplay???
Old 03-22-2006, 05:31 PM

You want HTML in your threadbits?
If so, you will need something to put it in your synopsis which as you stated wont be easy. The reason for the limitation is to prevent misc HTML tags from breaking your layout.

HTHs