The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Announcements

Announcements News relating to site/products.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-25-2006, 12:14 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Do you use these on sites that make absolutely no money then?
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

If gars is encoded, will it be still possible to change templates or some hardcoded phrases? Is it necessery to ask my provider for installing some ioncube add on to my server?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Excellent news, any idea on a time frame as I am about to release an update on my site with Gars as the core component other than the forums of course.

Would it be worth waiting on the new release ?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I never said renewal access was going to go up £5, just the license purcahse. I specialize in VERY EASY to afford scripts.

If there is anything hardcoded in the class - make sure you let me know - Ill want to remove those items so you can tweak to your hearts content

I wouldnt 'wait' on GARS 2.0 however a Beta may be out by this weekend if I can get the new license/download manager sorted in time Then again. that will be a beta release.
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-25-2006, 06:07 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

The person who knows best is yourself at the moment. GARS is a killer app for us and we're in for the future as well.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:19 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek

I wouldnt 'wait' on GARS 2.0 however a Beta may be out by this weekend if I can get the new license/download manager sorted in time Then again. that will be a beta release.
Beta's good

(well, short term anyways )
Old 04-26-2006, 04:11 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
I'm only going to be encoding the core classes - modules and such will be unencoded so you can still easily build add ons.

No, the price increase will reflect the extra additional work and costs for maintaining the project. An extra £5 on a £15 script isn't going to enable me to get an employee - for that I would be needing to bump the price up to the £75 mark. In theory, it will lower the amount of customers and support requests. If not, ill do what I have done now - limit sales

Thanks guys
Thank you for answering my question.

Michael
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
I'm only going to be encoding the core classes - modules and such will be unencoded so you can still easily build add ons.

No, the price increase will reflect the extra additional work and costs for maintaining the project. An extra £5 on a £15 script isn't going to enable me to get an employee - for that I would be needing to bump the price up to the £75 mark. In theory, it will lower the amount of customers and support requests. If not, ill do what I have done now - limit sales

Thanks guys
I'm in the US where the weak dollar makes your scripts even more expensive (about 2 dollars to a pound), but, frankly, it's still pretty darn cheap for what you provide.

Your work is awesome, and I'm glad to see a modest price increase give you incentive for you to keep things evolving.

But, at the same time, I have some ideas that address some of the needs of the users here and your needs.

You know how you charge a seperate 12.99 pounds for license removal?

How about a seperate support fee for your products, if you want support over X amount of days? (beyond 15 days, beyond 30 days, or what have you)

Or if you want like... I don't know... an even higher charge for Deluxe support? You know those people that just don't ask a casual question, but actually need hand holding of some sort?

On the other side of the coin, you could sell a special REDUCED price license with absolutely NO support. Just a license. There's a few ways you could work this.

I'm certain a lot of people here who buy multiple licenses need hardly any support at all. They run tons of forums, and are expert users. For them, cost is far more important than support.

A lot of potential pirates are actually in this category. A lot of these kids have technical skills, and very little money. But, of course, they have some money, like everybody -- there's a threshold. A "no support license" would make it tempting enough for a good portion of those to actually buy your scripts.

Just some ideas here... Maybe they'll inspire you to have even better ideas. I just think something like this would allow everyone to have more cake, and eat it, too.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:13 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa
I'm certain a lot of people here who buy multiple licenses need hardly any support at all. They run tons of forums, and are expert users. For them, cost is far more important than support.
Frankly I think Geek's prices are very good already. But seeing as most scripts are priced in US$ these days I can understand the frustration - the dollar is at a low point. But if Geek was taking US$ he'd be losing money now.

I consider myself an "expert" user, but as long as Geek keeps selling beta scripts it is impossible to use them without any kind of support (in fact, I feel we are getting good scripts cheap by helping him out with beta testing).

Just my 2c, of course.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:43 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Some good suggestions jsa. I look into something like that for the future.

The £/$ thing is all realative. The $ price will go up about $7.50 as the prices are put in by currency.

Thanks again for your support guys.
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads