The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Announcements

Announcements News relating to site/products.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Warning: All Geek Scripts and vB 4.0

Warning: All the Geek Scripts and vB 4.0 are not compatible. Tests will be done as soon as possible, around the time of the vB 4.0 Gold release, to see what needs to change to make the Geek Scripts compatible with vB 4.0 if possible. Due to new vB 4.0 features, it may be the case that certain Geek Scripts get discontinued.

If you upgrade to vB 4.0, you will break all the Geek Scripts, so if you are going to upgrade, turn off all the Geek Scripts by disabling the product via the ACP and do not turn them on again until after a vB 4.0 compatible version is released. There is no set time frame, but it will be as soon as it gets done.

Support for the Geek Scripts on vB 4.0 will not be offered until after a vB 4.0 compatible version of the Geek Scripts is released. At that time, the determination as to whether any Geek Script is discontinued will be made, so it may be the case that not all the Geek Scripts become compatible.

Please do not repeatedly ask whether it is done yet. What is planned is to get this done as soon as possible, and given that the templates need a redo, and code will likely need to be changed, this is not going to be a half day job.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info Morgan.

I was waiting for it for a few months.

I like to put my opinion, maybe is irrelevant but, I'm still like to.

I have two scripts GARS & GAB
Also a long time ago I buy vBDynamics Multiple Instances, but when I find GARS, I simple love it. As far I know a lot of users migrate between GARS - vBDyn. With the Articles option from vBull 4, I think you will think on discontinued GARS.

I say, give it a try, as far I see the vBull 4 Articles will be for the Site area, looks cool, but the vbull sub-forums, looks awesome with GARS.

GARS is a unique script, in fact maybe I'll resist to upgrade to vBull 4 because GARS make some parts of my forum unique, I love it, my users like it.

GAB looks pretty useful, and the vBull Ads systems suxs so I don't think is on the scripts Blacklist.

The other scripts, I wait to buy them until the next update or I'll have more things to worry.

Wherever the decision you guys make, you have a long hours of hard work coming, and I think we really appreciated it.

Thanks and best regards!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I hope that most of the vb geek products will be transformed to work with vb4.
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaGi View Post

Also a long time ago I buy vBDynamics Multiple Instances, but when I find GARS, I simple love it.
I also have both Vba Dynamics and GARS. Dynamics is the most powerful,
but GARS is the definitely the most beautiful (and best) script.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
this is not going to be a half day job.
How about 1 day?

I would be VERY sad to see GARS go away..

Morgan, what is your thought on GARS as it stands with the features of vb4? Another member did make a point that vb4 will have their own way of handling articles I believe so I just wanted your take on it minus the modifying it would take to get it compatible and what not.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I will be pre-ordering but won't upgrade for just this reason. I want to see what mods I have installed will upgrade before I install vb4.
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 10-20-2009, 04:21 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

@Morgan: There will be a template-merge for eays transfering the vb2 templates into vb4, have a look at: http://www.vbulletin-germany.org/showthread.php?t=6828

This might be of interest for you!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:52 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Just wanted to add a voice on the pro vb4 GARS side... The vB4 Articles in *NO* way replaces the core functionality of GARS. GARS is so much more flexible, and provides admins with the ability to hand tailor individual forums to fill needs that could never be addressed via the vB 4 CMS functionality. GARS, GAL and GAB are all still highly relevant and useful moving into vb4, but I'd place GARS at the top of the list for conversion .

Along with Photoplog (leveraging the upload functionality and asset sharing capabilities of vb4 would make 'plog AWESOME!), GARS is the primary thing that we'll be waiting for before even considering upgrading to vb4.

James and Susan
Old 10-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

As said above GARS is the only thing that will stop me jumping straight into vb4 (despite having the publishing suite ordered)
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet T16 View Post
As said above GARS is the only thing that will stop me jumping straight into vb4 (despite having the publishing suite ordered)
Same here on both accounts. I use GARS as a literature repository and would loathe downgrading to a stripped-down article system.