The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-26-2005, 05:00 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Beta 3 Release discussion

Beta 3 is now available in the downloads section.

Since this is a Beta - theres still a lack of documentation so please make sure you read the following information:

Many parts of GARS have been totally reworked which means you need to make a couple extra steps when upgrading.

To Upgrade, upload all the latest files to their corresponding locations overwriting any previous files.
Go to your product manager and import the latest product-GARS.xml file (choose to overwrite the previous version)
IMPORTANT: Regardless if you are upgrading or doing a fresh install, go to your admincp->GARS->modules page and click To reset ALL modules to the default ones. You WILL lose all your previous module configuration - however they wont work if your upgrading anyway

Please note the following changes to your type templates:

ALL GARS TEMPLATE NAMES (i.e. the recommneded ones) ARE IN PARENTHESIS NEXT TO THE VARIABLE NAME (i.e. they look like this:

Forumdisplay (GARS_forumdisplay)

I strongly recommend using the values in the parentheses (though you can actually use any template!
If there is no value in parentheses (i.e Showthread and Comment Deleted... ignore it... I don't have custom ones for those yet).

If upgrading, you may revert the changes you made to editpost and newthread templates. I'm not using them anymore.

Ill start a new thread outlining any known issues. There are still a few - but the feature set is closing up quite quickly.

I am hoping that we will be in RC by this time next week.

please review the Known Issues thread.

Thanks and nJoy

Last edited by The Geek; 09-26-2005 at 05:48 PM..
Old 09-26-2005, 05:31 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

W00T just downloaded and will give it a whirl...
Old 09-26-2005, 05:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

When I go the GARS section of the admin at the top I get the following error message.

inline_input($name, $value = '') { return ""; } function redirect($do,$stopmessage,$var='') { define('CP_REDIRECT', "gars_admin.php?do=$do"); print_stop_message($stopmessage,$var); } } ?>
Old 09-26-2005, 05:48 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

???

Can you post a screen shot?
Do you have javascript enabled?

Can you try reuploading the files? (may have been a sketchy upload).

Thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 06:05 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
???

Can you try reuploading the files? (may have been a sketchy upload).

Thanks
Thank did it looking good
Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 AM

The Geek, sorry to bother you so much...

In next release, could you also consider introducing stock images like "New Articles" instead of "New Thread" and "Comments", that made a perfect getup in GARS for 3.0.x.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 04:37 AM

Looks like several of the issues from the previous beta (inline moderation, using quick reply without it appearing as an actual post instead of an article post, that array_merge error I noted, etc.) have been fixed, so while I only installed this minutes ago, it's looking great so far
Old 09-27-2005, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Singh
The Geek, sorry to bother you so much...

In next release, could you also consider introducing stock images like "New Articles" instead of "New Thread" and "Comments", that made a perfect getup in GARS for 3.0.x.

Thanks
planning on it for next iteration (if I can get somone to donate the images )
Old 09-27-2005, 08:17 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

O man..... this looks sweeeeet

Would it be possible to have those modules like 'latest reviews' working on vbadvanced? That would make the gars script so much more integrated in the website as a whole.

Another request: sort a particular gars forum on date/topictitle/etc. ? A few GARS forums that I use should be sorted on alphabet by default, while others may stay sorted on reply-date. Wasn't this a feature in gas?

Great job.... I will play with it later today to check out all features
Old 09-27-2005, 08:20 AM

Once things settle a bit, Ill do vbaCMPS modules for latest and featured articles.

I was thinking about adding a defualt sort to the type, but never really looked into it. GARS never did it either. Ideally I was thinking about a way to sort alphabetically, however that feature isnt a default in vB from what I recall.

I dont think it should be too big of a deal and fingers crossed may have it as a new feature in the next iteration