The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GAL 5.0 Beta 4 Release Discussion

This thread relates to the release of GAL 5.0 Beta 4 and contains important installing, upgrading and configuration information. Please read the thread before installing, upgrading or configuring.

*Edit - read http://www.thevbgeek.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=61 for an important announcement regarding GAL

It is important to note that this is a Beta product which means that it is an unstable release. Use with caution before implimenting on a live site.

Please do not use this thread to report bugs, use the bug tracker so I can make sure I address them.

Sice Beta 3:
  • I have fixed many bugs
  • I have introduced 2 new category settings: X and Y offset. These help to offset the popup according to their values (which can be positive or negative values).
  • I have introduced a new global setting called 'Decay'. This is the amount of ticks that will take place before the natural close of a popup. This prevents most 'flickering' while moving your mouse over links. It is best to play around with this figure to get the best results as it corresponds to your other settings. Here, the setting is 1000. Note that this setting is only applied to Follow and hover popups.
Stuff still to do:
  • Statistic reporter. GAL is still recording the stats, but there is no way to view them yet.
  • Extend usage for non post pages. This functionality is in there, but I am working on a new API for this.
  • Modeation qeue. I am working on a better way to see all items in moderation qeue.
Installation and upgrade:
  • Upload all files from upload folder of the the Beta 4 package (choosing to overwrite existing files) to your forum directory.
  • Make sure that geek/gal/images is chmodded to 0777 for uploading of images.
  • Import the product xml into vBulletins product importer (choosing to overwrite existing installation if upgrading).
Configruation:
  • Edit each cateogry and make sure you have the forums ticked that you want GAL to use.
  • Edit your settings and make sure everything is accurate in there. As an FYI, I am using the following popup settings here (but change as you feel is appropriate):
    • Open Steps: 5
    • Tick Count: 10
    • Tick Steps: 10
    • Decay: 1000
Make sure that you also tick the showthread page setting at the bottom of your settings page. Otherwise GAL will not work on showthread pages.

Please note that GAL will cache your quickpost posts - but will not show the results after the AJAX update. This is a limitation with the ajax display (you cant hook into it).

nJoy

Last edited by The Geek; 04-25-2007 at 10:02 AM..
Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Congrats on the hard work Sam! Regretfully I don't have much spare time to get to work on applying it. It's been a while since I've had GAL running full scale! Job sucks up too much time. Any jobs going in your company? An expert in customer service is at your beck and call. LOL
Old 02-04-2007, 03:51 AM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Had to refresh this page for the two GAL 'd words in the above post to function properly with the popup.

"Extend usage for non post pages. This functionality is in there, but I am working on a new API for this." <-- Does that refer to external type integration ?

Would love a hint on that if so as I have so many places to look at adding it in vbPortal becasue of its heer size of posting functionality as a product.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Hi, nice job. I hope the final release coming soon
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabag View Post
Congrats on the hard work Sam! Regretfully I don't have much spare time to get to work on applying it. It's been a while since I've had GAL running full scale! Job sucks up too much time. Any jobs going in your company? An expert in customer service is at your beck and call. LOL
hehe. THink Im going to need staff soon! Youre at the top of my list flea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Had to refresh this page for the two GAL'd words in the above post to function properly with the popup.
Not sure why that would happen, nor have I ever seen it happen yet?

Quote:
"Extend usage for non post pages. This functionality is in there, but I am working on a new API for this." <-- Does that refer to external type integration ?
Yes
Old 02-05-2007, 01:59 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Error encountered

I got the following error

Fatal error: Class 'GAL_vb_db' not found in *********************forums/geek/ gal /includes/gal_class_admin.php on line 784
Old 02-05-2007, 02:13 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

I went back to 4.81
Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 AM

Installed it on one of my dev machines a couple of days ago, still can't get it to work

Did an upgrade first on mirrored site, then clean install........ maybe I'm just too old or tired
Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang2el View Post
I got the following error

Fatal error: Class 'GAL_vb_db' not found in *********************forums/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_admin.php on line 784
Angel - Make sure you uploaded all of the files

Gothic - make sure that the 'show on showthread pages' option in your settings is ticked and that each of your categories have all of your forums ticked.

HTHs
Old 02-05-2007, 09:37 AM

Sam, ignore that last...... I'm a stupid sod sometimes
Entirely my fault, working perfectly.