The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Gazette

Geek Gazette GAZ is a community newsletter management system.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Dont understand how GAZ works

Im new to GAZ, now still figuring out how it is supposed to work, can someone help?

I tried to access http://www.onestash.com/forums/newsletter.php

but was unable to. I am only able to access

http://www.onestash.com/forums/newsl...hp?id=9&prev=1

Currently the GAZ is in test mode. BTW, how do I actually craft my own newsletter instead of using this default format which shows only the Latest News (thread?) and other threads? Im quite baffled as to how this thing actually works
Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Ok now i understand a little... is there anyway I can download modules for newsletters?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

GAZ comes with four default modules:
  • Text Block: This module will allow you to display static text including html and bbcode (example in right hand column here)
  • Info Block: This module will display text you type in or show the text entered in the issue message (example is top welcome row here)
  • Statistics Block: This module will display site statistics (example in right hand column here)
  • Thread Block: This module will allow you to configure a list of threads to display (the five other blocks here are from the thread block)
You can place blocks in the following positions for HTML (center is the only position for Plain Text):
  • Left
  • Center
  • Right
  • Bottom
You can use each module more than one time, but if your newsletter has any other information that cannot be displayed by using one of the default modules, a custom module would need to be coded.

For access to the newsletter.php page, check the Geek Gazette Permissions under the ACP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM

I've got 2 questions:
1. How do I prevent it from being sent out? Seems like even in test mode it sends out?
2. How do I use the info block? For example if I were to say something like, "Welcome to the August edition of abcforums" then in the month of september how do I make the title change?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM

I've got two more questions... Im looking at this setting:

Next generation dateThe date that the newsletter automatically produce the next issue

1. I've tried to set it as August 6, but the date keeps going back to August 5. Can you please help?
2. When I access the newsletter, it only shows minimal buttons (I think VB's default) but it doesnt show other buttons on my navbar, how to enable them

Last edited by nuvar; 07-30-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1: Go to the ACP -> GAZ -> Newsletters -> click a newsletter link and set 'Issue active after generation?' to no.

2: Whatever text/HTML you are using for the message is what appears. There is no 'use the variable for date' option, but if you want the date in the message, you'd need to edit the GAZ info.php file.

3: This is a consequence of a mixing mktime and vbdate so the date is minus a day. I'll need to look into a better way to process the date. I fixed one of these before, but this one is more complex, so it is likely going to take some time, but for now, use a day ahead, i.e., August 7 for August 6.

4: The newsletter.php page uses the vB navbar template. The newsletter issues that are sent use the gaz_html_header, gaz_html_navbar, and gaz_html_footer templates (assuming it's an HTML email being sent) and you need to edit those templates as you prefer for reasons mentioned here.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvar View Post
Im new to GAZ, now still figuring out how it is supposed to work, can someone help?
I'm finding that it isn't very intuitive thats for sure! Seen another large VB site recommended this so I immediately purchased; hopefully I can figure this thing out sooner rather than later or I'm not going to be happy spending $65 on it!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Please check out the wiki for GAZ: http://www.thevbgeek.com/geeki/index.php/Category:GAZ

Hopefully that info helps you get a better handle on it.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 AM

honestly its damn bloody hard to use and the modules arent enough... tried playing with it for a damn time and i still dont understand. really freaking me out.

when i generate an issue, it does not send out right?