The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-06-2006, 12:09 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GARS 2 any feedback?

Because I'm scaring a little bit to install the new beta, I'd like to hear some feedback from you.
Especially some things I'd like to know:
Are the old settings overtaken, f.e. the module settings or ratings, custom fields? I think need to translate the phrases again? Where can I get this ioncube thing?
And at all, is the 2beta stable and without to many bugs?
Thank you
Old 05-06-2006, 03:39 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

ioncube - http://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php

You'll notice there are tons of different versions. Remember to grab the archive for the OS your server is running on. If you'r confused, just ask! I'm pretty sure it says what you're using in your cPanel, anyhow. (if your webhost uses cPanel+WHM).

Anyhow, after that you've got to upload the folder to the proper directory. Mine is in the root. I'm not sure if I could have placed it below that (instead of being in public_html for example - hopefully the Geek can tell me ).

Now, run ioncube-loader-helper.php and you should be set.

Old settings overtaken? Mine weren't. Custom fields - there weren't any before so of course not .

I'm not sure about the phrases (sorry!).

I haven't experienced more than 2 bugs (one is when you delete an article, the article listing gets funky - but that's only viewable to staff who can see deltion notices and the synopsis is missing for me - oh yeah, I didn't manage to get the new templates installed for some weird reason so I'm just gonna code my own unless someone can help).

Check out http://www.mlgpwncast.com to see how its running if you want to. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

linix is my servers software, but which one do i choose

Kernel version: 2.6.9-34.ELsmp

my forum is in folder forum so do i load it there, not enough known here please help.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:07 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Blue - your home page articles link is wacky. Other than that - its looking good!

I noticed that the GARS_threadbit_deleted template needs adjusting. That is what is giving forumlistings a wacky look if you see soft delete notices.

The Ioncube loaders are seem daunting to install - but they are pretty simple once you get it going. I would strongly suggest installing it via the php.ini option (instead of the runtime option).

For help with ioncube loaders, check www.ioncube.com its easier than you think!

Get stuck in guys. Im pretty pleased so far and I have gotten a lot of positive feedback for a Beta1 so far
Old 05-06-2006, 09:22 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Thanks Geek! I made a mistake :-P.

Weird thing is it works everywhere else .
Old 05-09-2006, 02:15 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Thanks for your help Bluestrike2, but I think better wait for the zend version because that's installed already on my server.
@Geek
Some questions for you:
1. If installing 2 my traslated phrases go away?
2. What about the custom fields and the ratings, will they still exist after the upgrade?
Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1- Im not sure about this. Previous versions, this has been the case so most people export their gars phrases and re-import after upgrade.
2- Ratings and custom fields will be fine when upgrading.

HTH's