The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-12-2006, 07:29 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GAL 5.0 Beta 2 Release Discussion

I have uploaded Beta 2 of GAL 5.0 to the download area. This release addresses issues found with Beta 1 however please note that some areas are still not functional as per Beta 1. This is primarily to address issues with Beta 1.
  • This should take care of the empty preg_replace issue, however since I have not been able to duplicate it, it is difficult to code against.
  • There are a couple new settings that enable you to control the popups appearing (i.e. steps to open, sensitivity, etc...). You will need to set those via your admincp->gal->settings
  • I have fixed a couple of saving issues in the admincp, however please note that the preferred way of creating/editing GAL's is via the glossary page.
Points from Beta 1 worth repeating:
  • As with any product (especially betas) it is important that you first back up your forum before installing
  • Please check out the readme, there are a couple important items in there regarding installation.
  • When you install, it will port over all your old GAL items, however many settings are lost in the translation as GAL 5.0 uses templates and such instead of the old system for displaying.
  • After installing you must click admincp->gal->maintenence->rebuild post cache.
  • You will need to set permissions for each dictionary you have.
  • Note that each dictionary has default settings. If the user can not set a field, GAL will use the dictionaries default setting as a substitute. That way you can set a default image... do not allow any members to upload an image, then GAL will use the default image.
  • Make sure that you chmod your geek/gal/images folder to 0777 to allow uploads
  • Im not sure on using this on non post pages right now. In theory it should work, however I havent tested it at all.
  • Stats are not currently functioning. You can not view them, nor does GAL record them.
  • The cron job isnt fully functioning (mainly because the stats arent working yet).
  • There is little to no phrasing done yet (I usually dont do this until RC anyway).
Please post bugs in the tracker as they are easier to keep track of.

nJoy

Last edited by The Geek; 11-12-2006 at 07:31 AM..
Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Great stuff. Certainly seems to have overcome those previous errors we were experiencing
I have even (tentatively) installed it onto one of my live sites All seems well at the moment. Will keep you posted.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:24 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Sam getting an error
Code:
Warning: Missing argument 1 for gal_base() in /geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Missing argument 2 for gal_base() in /geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Missing argument 3 for gal_base() in /geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Missing argument 4 for gal_base() in /geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Missing argument 5 for gal_base() in /geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php on line 39

Warning: Missing argument 6 for gal_base() in /geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php on line 39

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/****/public_html/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_core.php on line 86
Received this when uploading the files are done. So i downgraded to 4.8 back again

Last edited by Lizard King; 11-12-2006 at 11:31 AM..
Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hmmm. Sounds to me like a bad upload/download/installation. I havent changed anything with the signature or the areas that call it. Can you try on a test board with a fresh download? (I have just been tweaking the download system... it may have had something to do with it)
Old 11-12-2006, 12:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
hmmm. Sounds to me like a bad upload/download/installation. I havent changed anything with the signature or the areas that call it. Can you try on a test board with a fresh download? (I have just been tweaking the download system... it may have had something to do with it)
I just redownloaded the package made an installation on my test board with no modifications. Installation is good. I can add a keyword also from admincp but even i rebuild my post cache but i still get an error while viewing the thread and the keyword is not autolinked.
Here is the error
Code:
Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Empty regular expression in \geek\gal\includes\gal_class_core.php on line 165

Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Empty regular expression in \geek\gal\includes\gal_class_core.php on line 165
Old 11-12-2006, 01:58 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

i too am having the same issue.

will reinstall to see if it clears it up. I do have vbseo installed
Old 11-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Still no luck. I get the same error.

Will revert back to the newest non-beta version
Old 11-12-2006, 03:11 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

I spoke too soon, same as Mr Lizard. But it only appears after having made a new post, and if that new post has no GAL in it.

We temporarily overcame it by doing the following (rough and ready)| edit:
File:/geek/ gal /includes/gal_class_core.php
Find on line 165
Code:
        	$text = preg_replace($this->find, $this->callback, " " . $text, $settings['limit']);
and add BEFORE it
Code:
					//Insert dummy data at '0' to handle posts with no G A L data
					$this->find['0'] = "//";
and then file: /geek/ gal /includes/gal_class_vb_db.php
Find on line 114
Code:
		foreach($posts as $key=>$value)
			{
				if (is_array($value))
				{
					foreach($value['gals'] as $galval)
					{
						$return['posts'][$key]['find'][$galval] 		=& $return['find'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['content'][$galval] 		=& $return['content'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['track'][$galval] 		=& $return['track'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['link_template'][$galval]=& $return['link_template'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['callback'][$galval] 	=& $return['callback'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['content_template'][$galval]=& $return['content_template'][$galval];
					}
				}
				$return['posts'][$key]['dateline'] = $value['dateline'];
			}
and replace with
Code:
	if($posts != null) // Added by Matt to work around errors with private messages
			{
			foreach($posts as $key=>$value)
			{
				if (is_array($value))
				{
					foreach($value['gals'] as $galval)
					{
						$return['posts'][$key]['find'][$galval] 		=& $return['find'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['content'][$galval] 		=& $return['content'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['track'][$galval] 		=& $return['track'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['link_template'][$galval]=& $return['link_template'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['callback'][$galval] 	=& $return['callback'][$galval];
						$return['posts'][$key]['content_template'][$galval]=& $return['content_template'][$galval];
					}
				}
				$return['posts'][$key]['dateline'] = $value['dateline'];
			}
		}
As I emphasize, this is quick and dirty, but seems to be holding temporarily.

Last edited by gothic; 11-12-2006 at 03:21 PM..
Old 11-14-2006, 03:36 PM

Can you guys check your GAL table and see if the cached_regexp field is empty (or any other pertinent field)? I need to be able to repro this to stop it
Old 11-14-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Can you guys check your GAL table and see if the cached_regexp field is empty (or any other pertinent field)? I need to be able to repro this to stop it
Sam, the only empty fields in the GAR table here are the Custom1/2/3, all others populated.

Should there be any entries in the gal_regexp table?

Last edited by gothic; 11-14-2006 at 03:56 PM..