The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-20-2005, 05:09 PM

Default GAB vs Phpadsnew

Anyone ran both before and compared them? Any compelling reason to go to GAB or to Phpadsnew?

I currently run phpadsnew and am very happy with it and the customization, but Geek's offerings are always great so it makes me curious. Any feedback would be great.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:32 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

ya, i wouldn't mind knowing that as well.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Tough for me to say as I have never used phpadsnew.

My suggestion would be, if its not broke - why fix it ?

If you are happy with phpadsnew and you are getting everything you need out of it - then I wouldnt bother until maybe it goes gold! After that I will be looking to launch GUSH which will give your users the ability to buy and manage their own banners. Then there may be more of an incentive for you to look to using gab !

Maybe some other users that have had experience with phpadsnew would have another insight?

HTH's
Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I had phpadsnew on my site, but since it's not designed specificly to be used with vB you can be limited to what you want to do and it can't be controlled over you admincp :/ (atleast not without hacking you board and you probably still be very limited).

GAB in the other hand lets you control it FULLY under your admincp and it gives you full control of how you want ads to appear on your board by USERGROUP permissions, FORUM ID, TEMPLATE locations, and all the other neet stuff Geek mentioned above .

Can't really think of anything special that phpadsnew has right now that GAB don't (¿ anyone ?)
Old 11-21-2005, 06:25 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

i like the fact that phpadsnew allows advertisers to see their stats.

I am wondering will vbsponsors offer this for their advertisers ?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

We used phpAdsNew for years. When we switched from VB 3.0.3 to VB 3.5.1 I saw GAB and decided to give it a shot. I really like GAB a lot and will continue to use it for now. phpAdsNew offers a lot more features, but the reason why we are sticking with GAB is for the upcoming features such as allowing our members to purchase ads directly and also to be able to tie their ad account into their VB account.

I've purchased all the the Geeks products here (except for GeekMart ) and will be purchasing that as soon as it ties into GAB abd GAL .
Old 11-21-2005, 08:04 PM

Thank you all for the great feedback. In the end, I might run both when I move to 3.5 as I will need ads on non-vb pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBasil
phpAdsNew offers a lot more features, but the reason why we are sticking with GAB is for the upcoming features such as allowing our members to purchase ads directly...
This is exactly what I'm thinking as well.

Now, I've never heard of vbsponsors. Anyone have any experience with that in relation to the other 2 products in this discussion?

p.s. Geek, take a look at phpadsnew when you have a chance. I think you may get some ideas for GAB . And thank you for the straightforward and honest opinions. I've rarely seen someone give advise like that when presented with the option of their product vs someone else's. You rock!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I just downloaded it - its pretty massive! Anyhooo - ill take a look at it for inspiration once I can get my other projects on a touch.

In the end, I would prefer that you got whats right for your needs rather than say 'buy X' for the sake of it. Watch this space however
Old 11-22-2005, 06:19 AM

Both scripts have their pros & cons!

phpAdsNew is pretty massiv like Geek said, works stable, but in some cases it also needs a lot of cpu power, on big sites you have to tweak it a little bit.

GAB seems to be limited to vB only, so you cannot use it on your site that may not use the vB Tempalte Engine. phpAdsNew can even be used on different sites, but for that it comes along with js code.

One thing I am missing on both system, but it looks like GAB will offer this in future, customers are not able to upload their own banners.

Tobi