The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Errors in GAL and Feature Request

Morgan,

There is an error in GAL on the glossary page.

I have an entry that one of my moderators made and when I click "read more" to read his entry the Avatar icon next to his name doesn't show up (just a red x), the picture it is trying to show is:

http://www.caymanclub.net/customavatars/avatar3846_.gif

What it should be is:
http://www.caymanclub.net/customavat...atar3846_5.gif

Notice the "5" after the _ is missing, I suspect you aren't parsing the custom avatars correctly.

Second issue with the Glossary (and feature request) - Almost ALL of my glossary entries are both autolink and dictionary items. However, when users visit the glossary page they see nothing because they haven't chosen the filter to show both autolink and dictionary items. Is there a way that you could make it that the admin can set the default filter view for members? I have resorted to tweaking templates and changing:

http://www.caymanclub.net/glossary.php?c=1
(which shows nothing)

to this:
http://www.caymanclub.net/glossary.php?v=2&c=1

Which shows everything.

I "thought" if I DISABLED filters that maybe it would just show everything by default, but NOPE, it shows NOTHING by default if I disable filters which makes me wonder how you'd ever get anything to show up in the glossary without the filters???

Seems like a bug to me but maybe I don't understand the intentions, hence this topic thread.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by KenDude; 01-28-2008 at 03:48 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Anyone have thoughts on this or a solution for the bug(s) ?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Grab the GAL package and FTP the following files, overwriting the ones on the server, and also revert the gal_gdic_list_container template if changed, and then re-import the product- gal .xml file (do NOT uninstall, do allow overwrite).
  • /forum/glossary.php
  • /forum/geek/gal/includes/gal_class_vb_db_dictionary.php
Regarding bumping, best not to do it (if you are looking for an 'official' answer) as it places your inquiry later in the to-be-answered queue. Please note that I run through all support questions every day or so, but also have AFK activities too. If code needs to be changed, that takes some time too.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 PM

Done as instructed and YEAH both problems apparently FIXED! Kudos to Morgan, open another TAB (spiked with Captain Morgon) on me!

Actually 1 minor "nit"
The display order in the glossary appears to be the order that the items are listed in when you click "display" in the admincp. I thought they were going to be in order by "Ordinal" but the Ordinal value seems to be being ignored if that is what it is supposed to be used for.

Actually minor "nit" #2
When I log out and view the glossary I still see the "New" button, can click on it andfill stuff into a form although it won't be accepted because I am not logged in. I would think that the New button would not appear at all if unregister/not logged in group has no permissions to create new items, which they don't on my site as I double checked the settings. Unregstered/not logged in can "View Dictionary" only as far as permissions go.

Last edited by KenDude; 01-29-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Mmm, booze.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Didn't realize you had replied, I just used an edit to my prior post to add a couple of nits. Please see those. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

1: Please double check. The list is ordered as follows:
Code:
ORDER BY ordinal ASC, title ASC
2: Grab the GAL package again and FTP the following file, overwriting the one on the server, and then go to the ACP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Permissions, and for every usergroup and every dictionary, check the permissions, and make sure to save the permissions, even if they look correct:
  • /forum/admincp/gal_admin.php

PS: Just an FYI... I generally don't go back and check for edited posts, sorry. Please make a new post instead of editing posts or else I may miss the new inquiry. Me thinks I should not allow edits after a certain time elapses, but then I may get inquiries as to "why can't I edit my post?" Hmm, what to do?

Last edited by Morgan; 01-29-2008 at 09:55 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
1: Please double check. The list is ordered as follows:
Code:
ORDER BY ordinal ASC, title ASC
2: Grab the GAL package again and FTP the following file, overwriting the one on the server, and then go to the ACP -> Geek Auto-Linker -> Permissions, and for every usergroup and every dictionary, check the permissions, and make sure to save the permissions, even if they look correct:
  • /forum/admincp/gal_admin.php

PS: Just an FYI... I generally don't go back and check for edited posts, sorry. Please make a new post instead of editing posts or else I may miss the new inquiry. Me thinks I should not allow edits after a certain time elapses, but then I may get inquiries as to "why can't I edit my post?" Hmm, what to do?

Morgan,
I am not sure where I was supposed to check ORDER BY ordinal ASC, title ASC, but I went ahead and followed your directions.

Immediately the Ordinal problem was solved and I was able to arrange listings in the order I wanted them.

The other problem though did not go away despite redoing the permissions on every group for every category. I did notice, however, that when I logged out I saw the NEW button for only 1 of my 3 categories. The obvious answer was to compare the 2 categories where New did NOT appear with the one where it did. I compared them over and over, printed items out, checked and unchecked things but still the NEW button showed up whenever that category was selected even though I was not logged in.

So I took the next logical step and created a COPY of one of the working categories, moved all the items out of the first category into it and then deleted the offending category. Now the New button does NOT display next to any of my categories when someone is not logged in which is what I want.

Seems weird but something was "off" about that category in the database I guess that prevented it from functioning properly. It seems that everything is functioning properly now.

Thanks!