The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Lizard Lounge

Lizard Lounge The place to post off topic stuff.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-22-2007, 05:25 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Question I've recently decided...

I recently decided that I am going to try my hand at making mods =0) Got two huge PHP books and a smaller PHP/MySQL for Dummies ROFL And the determination and stubborness to succeed.

My inspiration comes from trying to install two programs from another developer that simply did not work out. I have in mind exactly what I want the program to do and how... just need to get er done <--- can you believe I just said that? Out loud ROFL

I think I am off to kinda a good start cause I seem to be able to look at other's codes and figure them out, just can't actually write much myself is all... I'll get there tho (Or I'm burning the books I bought hehe). (I think I know HTML better than English which is supposed to be my first language.)

My question to ya'll (the coders here) is out of curiousity... How long you have been working with PHP, making mods etc?

Always, Bree
Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I have been coding as a hobby for 20 years - but am pretty new to PHP (about 2-3 years). Good luck and have fun, sounds like youre off to a great start
Old 05-23-2007, 03:56 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Hehe, I have been doing PHP for 1-2 years, but been coding for nearly 11 years. Creating websites, online games, etc. Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with.

My trip to AZ was a success
Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Thumbs up

Wow... that long huh? Guess I should have decided this a long time ago, huh? hehe Got a lot of catching up to do =0) I started my first HTML based site like 5-6 years ago and it was just in the last year that I moved up in the world with vBulletin/mods/etc *blush*... I tend to catch onto things pretty fast tho... I hope that is the case with this too anyways... I've written a couple of scripts... very basic (Just pulling Fonts starting with a letter, or by a certain artist out of the database-and displaying accordingly so far)... LOL I can't get it to work with vBulletin tho so had to launch the completely outside of the Forum which drives me crazy hehe. I created a dollmaker quite a while ago but it didn't go over too smoothly... I messed that thing up so bad ROFL

I've been reading the PHP MySQL for Dummies since last night - on like chapter 7 and so far I think Im understanding everything really easily. However, I know that reading and understanding is a far cry from actually writing/creating. I have high hopes tho =0) I also found a few tutorials on how all that works with vBulletin.

I have a few ideas in mind but nothing so outstanding as what is found here. Just a few smaller things that I wanted for my Forum but couldn't find an existing (functionable) mod for. Figure I may as well figure out how to do it myself =0) Expand my horizons type thing. I actually create 3D Art (Tubes) but webmastering is my greater passion. I dunno, well see what happens. Wish me luck, I'm sure I'm gonna need it =0)

Now back to my books if I am gonna know everything one day

PS Geek - I notice the "Forum" link up... kinda stumped me for a few... sat here thinking "That wasn't there before... was it?" Thanks for making me feel temporily insane

Always, Bree
Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

If you want Bree, you can send me your script and I can give a shot at getting it to work with vBulletin. Just send me a PM if you want me to give a crack at it and I will give you my email.

Also, I can honestly say this, I have a nice amount of resources for PHP/MySQL but in no way have I learned everything there is to learn, there is so much information that I have an intermediate know how, maybe more but I will never say I'm an expert. Good luck tho.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 PM

My 6yo daughter is a sponge for knowledge... curious about everything and has to completely disect and understand everything he encounters. Anyways, he tells me "If I can learn more than you then I will know everything." Very flattering he believes I'm so smart =0) (That whole Mom is the name of God in a child's eyes thing I suspect). I think he found some logic tho... he may not know everything but he would certainly appear to if he knew more than those around him. Who would there be to tell him otherwise if he could completely/correctly answer all their questions and logically comment to all their ideas?

Sooooo... I don't need to know everything... I just gotta know more than you!

Seriously tho.. I hear what you'e saying and completely agree. I am very compitent (just spelled right) where HTML is concerned and although I run into something new very very rarely... I would never call myself an expert on it. I think with anything... no matter how much you know.. there's always room to learn more.

That is so very kind of you to offer to look at my scripts! I've actually learned a lot since I last worked with that... and I wanna give it another shot. It woud do a lot for my self esteem with this if I could get it to work on my own. I'll try it again in a couple days or so and if I still can't get it will probably take you up on your offer. I feel bad about putting extra work on ya *blush*. They are very very simple scripts tho... we're talking under 30 lines of simple coding... so shouldn't take to much time... You would probably know the answer at first glace.

Here's the thing... I integrate all my "non forum pages" like these fonts, into vbAdvanced... so they appear to be apart of the whole forum or whatnot. I found a way to make it work (my scripts that is) but only if I change my php from 4 to 5. I don't know the proper way to say that, with my host I have choice to use PHP 4 or 5 globally and can change my PHP.ini file. However, when I change to five... my scripts work but a lot of everything else on the forum does not. LOL A can't win for losing type thing. In the end, the scripts went into a normal .php file outside of the forum/vbadvanced and are just linked to it =0) To me... it looks horrible ROFL

Ok doll.. I'm writing a book so I better shut up already.. but I'll try again and get back to you - again, that was soooooooooooo sweet of you to offer!!!

Always, Bree
Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Update: Got it working =0) I was using my own coding to connect to the database... apparently the forum or cmps didn't approve of that ROFL... In my script I just required once the global file and that worked. Thank goodness I had them in one database. That seems to me to be a sloppy, got lucky fix... If I needed to connect to a database outside of the forum... not sure how I would accomplish that. Oh well, my scripts now work for my purpose and that makes me happy =0) I actually did something useful hehehe bahahahaha Anyways, now I gotta go redo all that section so that its all looking good =0)

Always, Bree
Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 AM

LOL , believe it or not, I was wondering if you included the global.php file for vbulletin once.

If you needed to connect to the DB outside of the forum you would include the global.php file of course using chdir command, first to change directories to get the file then a change directory to switch back to where ever the file is located at. Easily said than done sometimes.

Well I will say this, GeekMart is nearing its final beta release. Lets just say, 1 more little addon to the script and its ready for final beta release. So I don't have much on my plate at the moment so it wouldn't been a big deal, I need a break from normal coding sometimes.

Cheers
Steve

Old 05-24-2007, 04:32 AM

OMGosh that is such GREAT news!! I have soooo been looking forward to GeekMart ! I think I visit it here once a day (at least) with crossed fingers hehe. Congratulations on the progress!! To me, that's a huge accomplishment and I'd be on cloud nine right about now if I were you =0)

Heck tho, I'm on cloud nine I got my own script to work and it's TINY compared <--- an understatement.

I just got it completely done btw... I'm so proud of me hehe bahaha =) I am woman, hear me ROOOAR <--- How I feel about now =0)

If you're still willing... I'd like your opinion on it =0) You gotta promise you won't laugh tho... well you can laugh just a little but you can't over do it!

I probably have a ton of things in there I don't need but hey... IT WORKS! LOL The whole thing is like 45 "different Web pages" with two different type of searches and some information and such... All turned out to be 134 lines of coding! ON ONE .php file! Ok so you probably aren't impressed by that but hey, I totally am LOL There's still a few things I wanna add to it but not sure if I'll get around to it tonight. And then I just gotta figure out how to get it in my admin cp (right now I enter all the fonts manually into the database). I'll get to that tomorrow too... After that, I might just be ready to start my first real mod =0) I'm sooo excited!!

Ok, well let me know and I'll send you the .php file by e-mail... my e-mail is bree[at]smnlikdat[dot]com. Thanks a bunches... I better get now... Congratulations again!

Always, Bree

PS I figured you would be able to find the original prob at first glance... however, I didn't think you'd be able to figure it out without even looking LOL Great job... I can't wait til I am so talented!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Emailed you.

I'll be on cloud nine once its released but right now I'm on about cloud 5. LOL

Been working hard at it for nearly 2 days now to get things finished up on it since I had to travel to AZ a couple of times which really hurt my progress.