The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Announcements

Announcements News relating to site/products.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Let's hope for the best
Old 09-27-2007, 02:44 AM

GeekMart License Holder 

Good to hear Geek.

I agree let some users come on to provide support here in your forums.
Advertisement
I am an ad between posts. Luv me!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-27-2007, 06:14 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero View Post
I don't know if you read these threads, but as I said in the last one. From what I have read/seen about your products, I would happilly pay for just the script alone with no support attached. (although keeping the forums up with user base support is nice ) Please consider that there are many people who would pay for this with no support attached so that you, or someone you choose, could one day continue developement.
agreed- I would by GABS right now if I could, even knowing that it may go open-source, or that you will not be here for support, etc..

Glad to hear that things are getting sorted somewhat in your personal situation, and I fully understand you reevaluating your priorities, etc.. I know it is hard to give up a hobby (and side business), and I mourn the fact that you will not be sharing anymore innovative ideas with the vb community for awhile. You are my favorite vb coder, and I think you should get some sort of lifetime achievement award or something for all of the great work you have done for the community just by having your mods available for others to use.

Last edited by yoyo; 09-27-2007 at 06:18 AM..
Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder 

It's good that you are back in the saddle so to speak mate... I am sad to hear that these scripts will (potentially) be released to .org as there'd be no coherent development and, if God willing (not religious but I'll be if it helps!), you sort out your business and can come back with your legendary support and development ability... How would you wrestle back your babies from an 'open source' arena?

Much better in my opinion, for what it's worth, is to entrust 2-3 known coders to take over thevbgeek.com and they share the revenue from the sale/update of licenses and help with support and development. Then, when you feel able to come back, you take the reigns again and those you take on board stay on as 'partners' and get shares of licenses sold for X amount of time, longer if they remain active in development/support.

This way the coders who take on the code can be financially rewarded for their effort in your time of need, and rewarded more when you come back for keeping everything working whilst you were away.

Of course this all depends on whether or not you ever do want/plan to come back. I just think releasing into the 'wild' will kill the product and with Visions and vBlogetin and and and the list goes on... vB can't handle any more loses to quality 3rd party addons!

But, again, this is just my opinion and if my wife is anyone to go by... It matters not a shilling! :P
Old 09-28-2007, 06:05 AM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigratrus View Post
I'd certainly say Myth is an obvious possibility if he's interested, he's certainly got the most relevant experience, at least on GM!
+1 i would really like to continue w/ myth. glad things are looking up personaly.
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-28-2007, 07:44 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

A release on .org is dangerous for the scripts, but in fact, the future for the scripts might be even worse if the Geek hands over the scripts to great coders without communication skills. In that case I would rather prefer .org and see a competition between someone who can use the code and make a future business.

Communications skills are at least as important as coding skills, when you have to communicate with a huge amount of customers, seeking support, the usual complaints about everything, having the usual install problems etc. etc,
and if the future owner of the scripts is not a successful communicator, it will not take long until most customers are gone in every direction. I am glad to see that the Geek is aware of this.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikhansen View Post
A release on .org is dangerous for the scripts, but in fact, the future for the scripts might be even worse if the Geek hands over the scripts to great coders without communication skills. In that case I would rather prefer .org and see a competition between someone who can use the code and make a future business.

Communications skills are at least as important as coding skills, when you have to communicate with a huge amount of customers, seeking support, the usual complaints about everything, having the usual install problems etc. etc,
and if the future owner of the scripts is not a successful communicator, it will not take long until most customers are gone in every direction. I am glad to see that the Geek is aware of this.
agreed - look at vbarticles
Old 09-30-2007, 08:37 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikhansen View Post

Good points. Thinking about teams (to provide better communication as more than one body *does* help there), how about PixelFX and Darkwaltz4 from vBCredits? Pixel at least has been around vB for a long time, and they both seem to be *very* active and responsive to their community. And Darkwaltz seems to be pretty quick in providing changes/feature updates...

Not sure if they would have the time to handle this many new products, but they *are* active and are actually trying to build their vB work to be a full time gig, which would be ideal from the customer's perspectives. Maybe they and Mythotical could form an alliance? It'd be great to have multiple folks involved as Geek's product lines have such potential and already have an established community/following.

::tosses 2 shiny coins in hat::

James and Susan
Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 PM

One person would be good to take over is Brian of vBa.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Brian of vBa has enough on his plate as is and I doubt he has time to take on this many projects.

My trip to AZ was a success