The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Error in GAL for vB 4.

Running vBulletin 4.03 with latest vBSEO.

I get this error:

Code:
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Timestamp: Sat, 22 May 2010 17:26:12 UTC

Line: 709
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/admin-only-hidden/23132-geek-autolinker.html

Line: 991
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/admin-only-hidden/23132-geek-autolinker.html
Old 05-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Additionally, the following templates are not cached:
gal_content_popup_rounded (1)
gal_link_popup (2)
Old 05-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

1) Please see http://www.thevbgeek.com/showpost.ph...36&postcount=2

2) All the templates should be cached via the GAL - Cache Templates plugin.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 05-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Thank you.

Now that I get the popups, I have a new problem:

In IE8, the autolink popup opens to the left, cutting off most of the popup - see attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1GAL.jpg (64.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

IIRC the default is bottom left so you can to go to the ACP -> GAL -> Categories -> click the category link in the Title column -> change Anchor to whatever you prefer. GALs on vB4 are allowed to go off the side of the page like you see because to try and bound them in a vB4 page might have strange consequences, such as the pop-up appearing erratically because of all the new vB4 CSS positioning that happens, so to avoid that the pop-up by default is not bounded by the screen.

If you pick Top Right or Bottom Right for the anchor, you can avoid more instances of the pop-up going off screen. If you want to try and bound the pop-up from going off the left and right hand sides of the page, you can also edit the gal .gs file in the /geek/ gal /clientscript directory to try and get more of the off screen issue to go away by finding this bit of JavaScript but beware of the possibility of the pop-up appearing erratically:
Code:
/*
	if (l < 1)
	{
		l = 10;
	}
	if (l + e.offsetWidth + client.w > client.r)
	{
		l = client.r - e.offsetWidth - 10;
	}
*/
And removing the /* and */ comment lines highlighted in blue, and then hard refresh a page with GALs on it or clear your browser cache to get the change to the gal .js file to take effect. There are also the X Offset and Y Offset options in the same place as the Anchor option that you can set, so if you change the offset options, remember that in a browser the X = 0, Y = 0 position is the top left corner of the screen. A combination of Anchor change, gal .js file edit, and/or X Offest, Y Offest changes should get the GALs to show how you prefer. If you choose Follow as the Style, then the end user can pull the pop-up around, so if you are going to edit the gal .js file, I'd only do it if you are using Hover or Close as the style.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
2) All the templates should be cached via the GAL - Cache Templates plugin.
Looking at that plugin, I agree that they should be cached but evidently for some reasoin they are not, even with the updated GAL version.

GAL also seems to mess with some of the footer CSS - the colors for the copyright notices, for example, have changed so they are not readable. Disabling GAL reverts them to normal.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator

I'm not able to replicate either of those issues so cannot tell you what to do. Do you have any other add-ons installed? If so, what happens if you temporarily disable all add-ons except for GAL ? Also, are you using the default vB4 style? If not, what happens if you switch to the default vB4 style?