The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Modifications > Add-ons

Add-ons Modifications and add-ons for vB Geek stuff.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Comment

Release Tools Display Modes

Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Link Directory for GARS 2.1.8m

Link Directory for GARS 2.1.8m (Demo It)

Turn a forum into a link...
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
By daisukem on 06-14-2008, 11:53 AM

though my default image for the links are not showing. It was saved but i have a feeling that it was not uploaded on the server due to permissions.

Which folder do I set my permission to so that default image will be shown?
By Morgan on 06-14-2008, 12:02 PM

/geek/gars/images = 777
/geek/gars/images/misc = 777
/geek/gars/images/misc/default.jpg = 644
By daisukem on 06-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Morgan thanks.

I was trying to get the "default" image to show for the links and now it works. But my "upload a new image" option seems to have disappeared in "posting a link/thread" page. How di i get it back? thanks.
By daisukem on 06-16-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisukem View Post
Morgan thanks.

I was trying to get the "default" image to show for the links and now it works. But my "upload a new image" option seems to have disappeared in "posting a link/thread" page. How di i get it back? thanks.
Checked in permission that administrators can upload images to the gallery.. but when posting a link there is no such option to upload an image.. I know I had this feature on at first but something went wrong and I dont have the option anymore. Please help.
By Morgan on 06-16-2008, 05:47 AM

Please don't double post. It doesn't make me answer any faster. Thanks. As to your question, posts to the link directory don't show the upload box, as the link directory add-on fetches the thumbnail for you from whatever thumbnail service provider you use. If no thumbnail is available, then the default image is used.
By daisukem on 06-16-2008, 11:14 PM

Morgan. I'm sorry for the double posts.

I contacted my webhosting if they can turn on "allow_url_fopen", the answer was unfortunately no due to security. I contacted Brian if his product 'vBa link directory' uses the same way to generate thumbnails from thumbshots. He explained as follows.

Quote:
vBa Links does not use fopen() to call the thumbnails, so there should not be any way that you would have that problem.
So I would like to know what could be an alternative way to generate thumbnails as I can't turn on the function on my server.

Also it would be handy to know how I can upload a custom image for header for links if method above fails.

Thanks morgan.
By Morgan on 06-17-2008, 05:17 PM

1: Untested but you might try editing the code to use cURL instead, near the following in the /mods/persist/snap.php file:
Code:
			if (!($handle = @fopen(unhtmlspecialchars($location), 'rb')))
			{
				$errors[] = $location . " is invalid";
			}
2: Untested but you might try switching the true to false and the false to true in the /mods/edit/snap.php file.
By daisukem on 06-17-2008, 09:54 PM

Morgan thanks..

1. what exactly do I need to change in the file? Do I switch @fopen to @curl
[result] changing @fopen to @curl caused a black page after clicking a submit button.

thanks.
Last edited by daisukem; 06-17-2008 at 10:01 PM..
By Morgan on 06-17-2008, 10:02 PM

There is more involved than switching the name. Please visit the PHP cURL page for examples.
By daisukem on 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM

Then I have to give up.. I have other work to do and do not have time for this. Thanks for your help.
Comment

Release Tools