The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > GeekMart

GeekMart GMart is an integrated shopping cart system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Last call for any more bug reports before the new version is released...
Hi Morgan, hope you're well. Does this mean we are close to a new release of GMart ?
I have only come across it today...rather excited! ...if the new version is a long way away, is the old version available somewhere?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Close, but not today. Old version are not for sale.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Close, but not today. Old version are not for sale.
Okay great, many thanks within a week then?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Sorry, but I don't give ETAs. If I put a date out there, and then miss the deadline because of bugs or whatever reason, people might be disappointed or upset. What I can tell you is that I'll get it done as fast as possible, while trying to be bug free.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 AM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Last call for any more bug reports before the new version is released...
Morgan,
The reason I, and perhaps others have offered to beta test is to help test your changes in various environments as well as to see if all the bugs are squashed or any new ones come up. Rather than "release" some code and hope that it is bug free from your own testing , why not pick a couple of us that bought Geekmart and have us run your "release candidate" code through our own wringers and see what happens? Just tonight I realized I have an issue with Geekmart that is frustrating and I didn't report previously but that is that if someone puts something in their car and clicks checkout, but then does absolutely nothing else, I still get a PM that someone has ordered something. So then I go to look for other emails, check my spam filter and try to search out the PayPal email confirming that they've paid me for the item they've supposedly ordered. Alas I find no email so I have to PM the person and ask them "hey what were you trying to order (remember we cannot see their order details in admincp currently) and did something go wrong? How can I help?"

I'd rather either not get a PM until they complete an order, or have the PM say that an order was attempted but not completed so I know it is troubleshooting time and won't go hunting for a corresponding paypal email for the item in question.

Hope that all makes sense, but what I'm suggesting is that you have some of us test the code prior to releasing it publicly so we can help you make it as good as it can be and cut down on after-releases of .1, .2, .3 etc. I am in no way harping on your programming skills, they are greatly appreciated, but in GAZ and GAL and GAB , the three most recent releases that I use, I've found bugs in every product, reported them, and had to wait for a fix. I'd really rather HELP you early on and hopefully make your life easier and my life easier. Again, please don't take this as a criticism of your programming, I don't think anyone ever has a perfect software release, I'm just trying to help up front as opposed to post-release.

Thanks for your ear!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the input. If/when I need any more testers, I know where to look.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:31 PM

Can you pm me a *very* rough indication?
I'm hardly going to hold you to it ...this is very much a 'hobby' at the moment and therefore I need to manage my time as best I can - if its going to be a few months then obviously I need to use an alternative!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Sorry, but I don't give ETAs, even if it's a rough estimate and you won't hold me to it. The reason is in post fourteen.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't give ETAs, even if it's a rough estimate and you won't hold me to it. The reason is in post fourteen.
Okay then....there should be some kind of brief monthly/bi-weekly update though (even if its bad news)....otherwise you're selling your product short of the audience it deserves
You need to engage a wider audience with the product/website and this will help

Less people will be discontent if you state you will provide periodic updates (and then commit to that), rather than refusing to provide any info whatsoever.
If you do that and one or two idiots put in writing how upset they are, then that's their problem.

Just my opinion

Callum
Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Yes, I am working on it, no, it is not done yet, but it is close.
Closed Thread