The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Gazette

Geek Gazette GAZ is a community newsletter management system.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-18-2008, 05:25 AM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Email from disgruntled newsletter recipient about unsubscribing

Here is an email I received today after a member received the newsletter and I told him that he could unsubscribe from it via the newsletter he received or via the usercp, seems that he could do neither:

> Larry there should be an unsubscribe link with the newsletter, if not, you
> can always log into the website and turn off newsletters in your profile.
> Thanks!

I looked for an "unsubscribe" highlighted area in the email, and there was
NONE.

Bad.

Then I went to the website, logged in, and went to the "User CP" area.

In the "Your Profile" area there was nothing in regards to any newsletter.

Then I looked at the "Settings & Options" area. "Edit Options" would seem
the logical place to check a box that would subscribe or unsubscribe from
things like this newsletter.

Under "Messaging & Notification" there is an area that says "Receive Email &
Newsletters" and then "From time to time, the administrators may want to
send you email notices. Additionally, every month we send out a Newsletter
via email."

These boxes are NOT checked...and yet I still received the newsletter.

So tell me again HOW I can actually unsubscribe from this newsletter, since
I have never subscribed to it, and my options show that I am NOT subscribed
to it???

-------

Now when I originally sent out the newsletter I told it NOT to override the setting for receiving/not receiving admin emails because if a user had said no to admin emails then I didn't want them receiving the newsletter. It seems that GAZ went ahead and sent it to him anyway.

So my support questions are:

1) Is there a flaw in GAZ to where it is sending regardless of what the setting is for receiving admin emails?

2) In what ways can the member unsubscribe?

As a Note, here is the code that is the first bit of code in the Gaz_html_footer style:
Code:
<if condition="$show['unsubscribe'] AND $unsubscribehash">
<div class="smallfont"<if condition="$stylecss[smallfont]"> style="$stylecss[smallfont]"</if> align="center">
<a href="$vboptions[bburl]/$settings[scriptname].php?do=unsubscribe&amp;u=$user[userid]&amp;h=$unsubscribehash&amp;n=$newsletterid">$vbphrase[gaz_unsubscribe_to_newsletter]</a>
</div>
<br />
</if>
For whatever reason that code doesn't seem to be executing as both the sample and actual generated newsletters don't have the unsubscribe link in them.

Last edited by KenDude; 05-18-2008 at 06:26 AM..
Old 05-18-2008, 07:52 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDude View Post

So tell me again HOW I can actually unsubscribe from this newsletter, since
I have never subscribed to it, and my options show that I am NOT subscribed
to it???
Look it here, the problem has been solved, apparently the section in usercp was missing where
the users could subscribe and unsubscribe, I had similar problem:
http://www.thevbgeek.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=11
Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 AM

GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

I applied the fix for the UserCP that Morgan told you about and that is working now, but the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of the newsletter that was sent out is not.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:52 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

KenDude, maybe you should look in the hornstar6969 thread below this one, there is a fix mentioned there for the unsubscribing link.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:25 PM

My footer already has that, just look at the code I posted above, that footer is one that Morgan set up for me.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Having the following is correct:
Code:
Will look again at the code and post back after review.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Ok you still have acess to my site so please look it over and let me know what you find Morgan. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

No need to access your site, can review the code. Will post back after review.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

So is this a problem that's only local to KenDude, or will all newsletters sent be missing the unsubscribe button?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Administrator

If you see the following in the gaz_html_footer template, then your members won't get a link (if there is no unsubscribe hash) instead of a getting a link that creates a "it can't find my subscription information" message:
Code:
The script is currently under review to make sure things are working correctly. Will post back after the review is complete.