The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GAL outside of the post?

Sam had mentioned at one point the possibility that the next GAL version (6.0) might have the ability to parse things outside of the post text. Given a discussion Susan and I had earlier about a help system, it occured to me that if GAL was using something like jQuery's DOM traversal system (you can provide a selector and the $() factory function will automatically grab all matching elements in the document and do whatever you want with them, add classes, add html snippets etc), than it might be possible to add GAL entries for things like forum names, Navbar menus etc. That would be really *REALLY* powerful, and would make the ideal help system as you could have context sensitive help on almost everything on your site.

And Members could simply add themselves to a user joinable membergroup called "Help Off" or "Advanced Users" and that group of GAL entries would be turned off right away.

Anyway, if GAL can do that anytime in the foreseeable future, than there's no need for us to use GAB for a helpful hint type system, so it'd be useful to know.

Thanks in advance for any info that might be available. And for the time in reading this, even if no info IS available.

James and Susan
Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The "problem" with any of these auto-link methods is that you need to find the text to add/replace whatever you want, while not breaking HTML tags, using an exorbitant amount of resources, etcetera. GAL is set now to handle showthread and showpost fairly well, but search/replace for other scripts, while it is functioning to some degree, still needs work and may or may not be available in the next release.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-19-2008, 01:21 AM

Understood. If it's working for other sections, we'll be very happy campers and our new members will have a very easy time getting the swing of using the site. Obviously though ,you're the best judge of what's stable/worth it at this point, we love GAL , so any new release is all good in our book.

That said, if there *is* an issue with server load, but it works otherwise, could it maybe be an option in the ACP? Our site is dreadfully overpowered, so we have server resources to burn for the most part, though obviously that's an unusual situation.

In any case we can't wait to get our grubby little paws on the next version so we'll be following the rumor mill here intently.

Thanks as always!

James and Susan
Old 01-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

For now, I think I can live with this version

Thank you morgan.