The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default Presales: Can GARS handle member-review driven sites?

I'm looking for a review solution that lets members post reviews of products such that no review is privileged over any other, but all reviews of the same product are aggregated in the same place. Is this possible with GARS? The members-review feature doesn't seem to be sufficient -- I want member reviews to be first-class objects. And I don't see an obvious way to group reviews of the same product by different reviewers.

Hopefully, I'm missing something, because I like what I see in GARS. It just doesn't seem to quite fit my particular needs.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:04 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceI
I'm looking for a review solution that lets members post reviews of products such that no review is privileged over any other, but all reviews of the same product are aggregated in the same place. Is this possible with GARS?
With the module setting you should be able to accomplish what you want. Check out modules here. You'll want to look at page 3. You can add and re-arrange to what looks good to you. There is also one module out that the author has set up for reviews using photos. You can check that out here. He has a nice review section if you check out the demo there. You can always add to or subtract from what you are looking for.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:40 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hi Bryce, do you have any example URLs you can post?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:04 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Hi Bryce, do you have any example URLs you can post?
Nothing too specific unfortunately. http://www.epinions.com is the general style I'm shooting for, though, where there's a page for a specific product and links to user reviews from that page, but there's no site-sponsored review that everyone's responding to, and every member-submitted review can a full-featured review (not just a series of answers to canned questions, like the member reviews in GARS -- correct me if I have this wrong).

From what I can see, reviews in GARS are based off of threads, so the logical parent object would be a forum. I suppose I could find a way to manage things this way, but it doesn't feel right to me. Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Huh, I glanced around the site and I don't see any difference in the flow other than there are no pre-set ratings. I would have thought you could do the same thing with gars, just remove the author and member reviews and use the threadrate.
Though you would still need template changes and some other tweaks.

What I would suggest is bopping over to vb.org and give the LITE version a spin.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:43 AM

I'll try that out. Is LITE full featured enough to be able to say that if I can't do it in LITE, I probably can't do it in PRO?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:56 AM

Most likely. There are several limitations in the LITE version (especially ocmpared to 2.0) however its still a good starting point.

HTHs