The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-10-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Question - step-by-step attachments?

I need a system where the attachments show up inline with the text - like if you were adding BB IMG code inline. A user writes a paragraph and then attaches an image for each step. The attachment should be thumbnailed. I'm thinking maybe 5-10 attachments per page. The user should be able to specify exactly where on the page the attachmentwill show up.

For example, I've finished this paragraph and want a photo to show up directly beside (or below) it, separating this paragraph from the next.
(ex: first attachment goes here)

Is this possible with this script?
(ex: next attachment goes here)

Or is there an add-on that makes this possible?
(ex: third attachment goes here)

Also, is there a way to import past threads into this format?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:58 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

I could use this too!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:01 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

For importing past threads, just move them to a forum that GARS is transforming.

For what you are asking - wouldnt the vB inline attachment feature in vb3.5x work for that?
Do you have a gallery installed (ie vba)? If so, over at .org is a nice little add on I made that allows you to do what youre asking too.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:27 PM

Can you link to the hack on .org?

The vB inline attachment only works to show the images at the bottom of the post, does it not? They are all bunched together. I'm talking about spreading out multiple attachments through one post instead of having them all show up together at the end of the post. The paragraphs would be split up by attachments. I know this can be done in a two or three step process by uploading the photos in a gallery or elsewhere on the web, and then referencing them within the post with BB code, but I can do that now. I'd like a one step solution for users to be able to attach an image at any point within a single post and have it show up where they want.

Or, if there was a way to have multiple Message boxes in a single post with an attachment button for each, that would work. So when a user clicks New Thread, they see a separate box for Tutorial Intro, Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, etc. And each box has a Message field and attachment button. I swear I saw something like this way back in the vB2 days... For a true step-by-step tutorial system, this should be possible.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:30 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Heres the popup (mega useful) -> http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99011

The inline system attaches them inline. THis is new for vb3.5.1
Attach an image and when you are still in the editor, you will see a paperclip drop down that allows you to stick the attachments in your message.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks Geek. I guess I haven't played with the new version enough.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:47 PM

Im quite surprised they hadnt made a bit more of a thing about it. I think its quite clever. I wouldnt of ever even known if I wouldnt have watched some cativate movie on up and coming features about 5 months ago.

Regardless - if you want my opinion on THE BEST way of doing it - use the geek popup with vba or PP. Its what I use for mine. I just dont see me adding an attachment system when there are already so many great options out there.

Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:06 PM

I'd consider doing it using your popup code and vba gallery, except that we put limits on file storage for our usergroups. If we were able to specify a gallery to not count towards the storage limit, I'd do it. But we don't want to lift the storage limit completely.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hi. Not to bump an old thread, but this is exactly one of the reasons why I purchased this script and I was hoping that I could use the system itself to have people upload images and associate text to them for the Tutorials section.

Is there any way to do this? I mean, it needs to be simple enough that someone with a limited knowledge of forums can post the pictures.

Last edited by Phrost; 09-22-2006 at 11:45 PM..
Old 09-23-2006, 09:26 AM

Hi Phrost,

No there isnt a way, however the inline attachmnets is about as user friendly as you can get. Have you tried that?

almond_creme_lip_scrub_med.jpg
THis is generally how I do it
Anyhoo...

HTHs