The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 06-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default AutoLink on profile page?

Hi,
Does the newest version of gal work on profile pages for vb3.7
Old 06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The options/caveats for GAL to run on different pages are shown in the attached screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: gif galacpscreen.gif (14.1 KB, 15 views)
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

thanks. I have been a license holder of GAL for over 2 years now.

The current version I am using, the problem is, if i want to replace a link, i.e

www.google.com to www.google.ch

it wouldn't be able to do as vbulletin would render www.google.com as a link, has this been fixed?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Example1: www.test.com

Example2: www. test .com

Example1 contains test (a GAL keyword) but is not auto-linked because it would break the link. GAL does not affect tags, nothing to fix. Any "word" character (\w), apostrophe ('), and dash (-) are allowed in GAL keywords. Example2 used the [.noparse][./noparse] (excluding the .) BB Code tag, so then test is auto-linked, but again GAL only allows "word" characters, apostrophe, and dash. If you want to add other characters such as period (.), see this thread.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 06-11-2008, 04:45 PM

ok thanks. Becuase what i use gal for is to add my own referral id on the end of the url, which can be quite difficult with gal .

for example change www.google.com to www.google.com/pid=vbgeek

So to do this, you recommend I use example 2 mentioned in your post?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

GAL does not affect tags, so you cannot replace a link because the HTML would get messed up and the link wouldn't make sense. What you can do instead is auto-link the word Google (not the link) and then in the ACP -> GAL -> Display -> click the keyword -> Auto-Link Options section -> enter the http:// referrer link in the URL box. That way the word Google is auto-linked using your referrer link and the actual http:// link to Google remains intact. If you want to change the actual http:// link to Google, then you might be better off using the ACP -> Styles & Templates -> Replacement Variable Manager.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Another thing I have noticed that prevents gal from autolinking, is when a member posts a url i.e www.blah.com and vbulletin automatically makes that a hyperlink, even if the link bbcode wasn't included.

Is there a way to disable this in vbulletin from automatically linking www. type words, allowing gal to autolink?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 PM

Hi again.

I maybe completely jumping the gun (which i think i am), but have been briefly reading about replacement variables. If i am correct in understanding, does this inbuilt feature do what gal does?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Administrator

1: When making a full reply, not quick reply, there is the 'Automatically parse links in text' tick box that you can uncheck.

2: Replacement variables changes get applied to the whole page (see here for more info) whereas GAL focuses on post content and allows you to have more control over what forums get and who views the auto-links, along with providing tracking ability.