The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Modifications > Tutorials

Tutorials Tutorials and articles on using vB Geek stuff.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Filter This!
Filter This!
How to filter by custom fields
Published by The Geek
12-13-2006
Default Filter This!

Please note that this tutorial pertains to GARS 2.1.1 and GARS 2.1.2
Earlier versions will not have the filter module and later versions may be slightly different (but how the hell do I know that as I haven't written any newer versions yet!).

The custom field

The filter module is a new module and feature in GARS that will enable you to filter a forum by a custom field. The custom field MUST be a 'Select Box' type. A select box is a drop down list of pre-defined text. You define the text when you create (or edit) a Select Box custom field

filter-selectbox.jpg
A select box custom field

Adding to your type

Then your type must have the select box custom field associated with it. To do this, edit the correct type and scroll to the bottom. You will notice that there will be a tick box to associate the custom field to your type. There will also be an additional tick box (only available with select box custom fields) to allow users to filter by the field.

filter-type.jpg
Allow users to filter by field

Setting up the module

You need to add the filter module to your module set in order for it to appear. It is important to note that the filter module only works on forumdisplay pages so don't add it to the showthread page!

filter-select.jpg
Editing the modules settings

You can currently only filter by 1 select field at a time.

Want an example? The forum this tutorial in is set up to filter between GARS, GAL and GAB tutorials

nJoy
Tutorial for
GARS

Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 

By phlogiston on 12-14-2006, 07:38 AM

not working for me in firefox 1.5

Problem seems to be the same as something else I saw where using & rather than & in urls for javascript's document.location gives an incorrect url.

ie. I'm being left with http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12&filter[20]=GAB

IE quick swaps the url in the address bar from what I can see, dunno which browser is doing the "right" thing though!
By goyo on 12-14-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlogiston View Post
not working for me in firefox 1.5

Problem seems to be the same as something else I saw where using & rather than & in urls for javascript's document.location gives an incorrect url.

ie. I'm being left with http://www.thevbgeek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12&filter[20]=GAB

IE quick swaps the url in the address bar from what I can see, dunno which browser is doing the "right" thing though!
I had the same problem, here's the solution:
http://www.thevbgeek.com/showthread....4716#post14716

By The Geek on 12-14-2006, 10:34 AM

hmmm. Youre right. FF doesnt like it unless its an &... Ill mark it as a bug. In the meantime, check the post above for a fix
By Ramses on 12-14-2006, 02:20 PM

I can confirm this, it's only working if change as described above, but still not filtering words containing ü ä ö etc.
B.t.w. this filtering thing is a very cool idea, thanks geek.
Last edited by Ramses; 12-14-2006 at 02:56 PM..
By goyo on 12-14-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
I can confirm this, it's only working if change as described above, but still not filtering words containing ü ä ö etc.
B.t.w. this filtering thing is a very cool idea, thanks geek.
Yeah it doesn't work with other characters like: ()
It should be stated somewhere...

Otherwise GARS is not "just" an article/review system anymore...it's soooo flexible
Last edited by goyo; 12-15-2006 at 08:49 AM..
By The Geek on 12-14-2006, 07:07 PM

Ill look into the special character issue. Im suprised it doesnt, but I will have to run tests with it to figure out why. Im sure another minor update will make an appearence within the next week
By Tigratrus on 12-14-2006, 07:25 PM

Heh. In time for Xmas! Actually, having the Filters pretty much already qualifies as an extra Xmas present... We were talking about ways to do exactly what the filter provides just the night before you released it. I'm thinkin the Geek must be psychic... Or Psycho... Or something like that ;-).

We've been using the filters quite a bit setting up a whole slew of GARS enabled forums of different flavors, and they're working great so far. Once we figured out the quirks... Nice addition to the tutorial btw!

James
By trana on 12-14-2006, 09:32 PM

It doesn't seem to be working for me. I have the filter module enabled and in the module set. Also the fields are selected within the module edit screen. I cleaned my module cache as well.

Any ideas?
By The Geek on 12-15-2006, 07:33 AM

Can you provide a URL trana?
Comment

Tutorial Tools