The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-19-2006, 02:23 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

To be honest, I doubt ill make it a standard feature as you have been the only one to request the feature. Saying that, Im still positive the above should work fine.

HTHs
Old 02-19-2006, 06:44 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by attroll
I hate to burst you bubble. But maybe I am doing something wrong. But it still does not have the ability to have two sets of rotating ads. I can not get them working. Did you fix that?
Alright I got this working. I had to completely uninstall this and reinstall it. Now I have the two sets of rotating ads working and the page not found error seems fine now.

But I do have another problem.

The start date does not work for the banners. No matter what I select, if the start date is any time in the future the add displays. I would like to put all my ads in the GAB Manager and have them take effect when on the start date. Here are sample of two banners and the start and expire dates. But banner #2 displays no matter what I do.

banner 1
start February 01 2006
expires February 28 2006

banner 2
start March 01 2006
expires March 31 2006

PS. when you reply to a person please could you start who you are replying to. Sometimes it is confusing as to who you are replying to in the forums. Another question: Would it be better to not post in the forums and submit a support ticket each time instead of here in the forums?
Old 02-19-2006, 06:54 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey there,

Sorry for any confusion. I guess things can get semi manic around here. Im glad to hear you got it most of the way sorted now.

The cron job is supposed to activate the banner when its start date comes up. In the meantime, the banner should be set to inactive.
One way you can test it is to make it inactive, set the start date to today, then run the cron job. It should then be active.

Generally its easier if people post problems in the troubleshooting forums as the problem is usually applicible for more people. The support ticket system is working (for the most part) however very few use it and personally Im not too bothered.

Let me know if the above helps.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:08 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Hey there,

Sorry for any confusion. I guess things can get semi manic around here. Im glad to hear you got it most of the way sorted now.

The cron job is supposed to activate the banner when its start date comes up. In the meantime, the banner should be set to inactive.
One way you can test it is to make it inactive, set the start date to today, then run the cron job. It should then be active.

Generally its easier if people post problems in the troubleshooting forums as the problem is usually applicible for more people. The support ticket system is working (for the most part) however very few use it and personally Im not too bothered.

Let me know if the above helps.
Oh I see. I have to set them to inactive and the cron job will make them active when that dates rolls around.

One more quick quistion on the cron job. What do you recommend it be set at? I have mine set to the following and will this work:
00 0*** = GAB

I believe this does it every night at midnight.

Thanks for all your hard work. I have been waiting for a hack like this for years. You have answered my prayers.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:18 PM

If I understand you right, that means your CRON is running every minute.

Set it to something like:
Day of week: *
Day of month: *
Hour: 0
Minute: 0 - - -

HMmm, actually I think you did get it right

Anyhooo, glad its working for you. I like the idea of answering prayers. Kind of like a Geek Almighty (Mrs. Geek tells me I remind him of Jim Carrey. Not sure how to take that though).

Toodles
Old 02-19-2006, 09:02 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Problem with RC2

I had purchased a license recently for GAb and installed it then played with it and except for some strange displays of duplicate banners all seemed fine. I figured I would spend some time today getting more familiar with the product. Then I checked in here first and saw you had a newer release. I downloaded it and installed it.

I almost immediately started receiving vb database errors which were apparently fixed by changing the CHMOD from 755 to 777 on your folders. Then I discovered that while debug seemed to think everything was okay, I was being denied access to my forums from my vbPortal homepage.

The one banner I was testing with is using the phrase $GAB_ads[0] placed in the navbar template. As I said, it was showing two side by side identical banners, but it was working with RC1. With RC2 installed, the only way I seem to be able to get acesss to my forums again is to disable GAB . Removing the $GAB_ads[0] phrase had no effect.

As mentioned, I am running vbPortal if that is part of the problem. I have also installed GeekMart and it is enabled although not setup with any items but it does not have the effect of disabling my forums.

Any suggestions?
Allcompu.com
ExpressClipart.com
Old 02-19-2006, 09:38 PM

hmmm. A couple users have had problems today. 1 got it sorted with an uninstall/reinstall and the other one I sorted by editing the master script and clicking save.

Can you try saving the master script and let me know if it helped?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:10 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Stranger than fiction! Who'da thunk it.

Yes that seems to have cured the problem.

Thanx.
Allcompu.com
ExpressClipart.com
Old 02-20-2006, 10:20 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Can you try saving the master script and let me know if it helped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Weiss
Stranger than fiction! Who'da thunk it.

Yes that seems to have cured the problem.
That worked for me as well ...

Greg
Old 02-21-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

I have a problem:

After I install GaB , I can't uninstall it. Because when click uninstall, I get a error:

Database error in vBulletin 3.5.3:
Invalid SQL:
DROP TABLE `GAB_ads`;
MySQL Error : Unknown table 'GAB_ads'
Error Number : 1051
Date : Tuesday, February 21st 2006 @ 08:26:16 AM
Script : http://www.myforum/forum/admincp/plugin.php
Referrer : http://www.myforum/admincp/plugin.ph...id=geek_gab&s=
IP Address : 68.186.0.13
Username : Jerry
Classname : vb_database

How to fix it !?