The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Commons > Lizard Lounge

Lizard Lounge The place to post off topic stuff.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default Feature requests for Gaz

Howda All,

Just wondering what type of features you would want from a newsletter system (regardless if you would want to buy it or not). Surprisingly, GAZ is coming along quite nicely and allows you to do most of (if not more of) what you can currently get.

Just curious. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:49 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Hmm.. since I have some of your other hacks I would like to request for a Featured Article mod to be included.

Can't quite think of anything else just yet.. Will be thinking about it

Thanks !
Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

There might be option that we can pull threads from each forum. like i want to get 2 threads from forumid 3 but i want to get 5 threads from forum id 10.

We also might want to add some custom html inside it.

integration with vba gallery like a module that will display latest pictures or random pictures.

just these right now
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

- Having the possibilty to put also some own text to the newsletter would be great. With a checkbutton like "publish in next newsletter?", so that cron would also be possible to send the newsletter automaticly

Tobi
Old 11-09-2005, 12:34 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Personally I don't see a great need for such a script, especially with Commbull updated for 3.5.

Buuut I would like a system that allows my members to do their own mailouts, with other members able to subscribe/unsubscribe. The only way I can think to impliment this at present is to allow certain users to create a thread in a forum and have users subscribe/unsubscribe - this would obviously require a lot of template edit and possibly a few file edits/plugins.

I'd like a simple system that allows a user to set up a newsletter, which is listed in the Newsletters index, edit a description e.t.c. Where users can subscribe/ubsubscribe. I can think of a few other additions I'd like but I'll keep them for a rainy day.

Last edited by Fleabag; 11-09-2005 at 06:03 PM..
Old 11-09-2005, 05:52 PM

Thanks guys. I think this will be a cracker really. End of the day I need it - commbull doesnt fit the bill.
I like the gallery option. The custom text it does (however none of the cron side is set up yet) and the posts per forums, etc... is working sweet. Since you can add the same module several times in the same or different blocks, your options are pretty endless. Ill post a screenie of the threads module admin - there are crap loads of options there.

Anyhooo - thanks again for the feedback.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:59 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Obviously needs the ability to mass send out to all users. Previously ive had my co-admin create newsletters id like the ability to create a similar layout

http://www.rpg-centre.com/newsletter/august2005/

p.s. cant wait
Old 11-09-2005, 06:25 PM

Hey, I like that a lot.

Ill keep that in mind. In theroy its already doable - however you would need a couple template modifications
Old 11-09-2005, 06:33 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Hey, I like that a lot.

Ill keep that in mind. In theroy its already doable - however you would need a couple template modifications
You know me, i need it as simple as possible
Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 PM

Been thinking it be great if we could have a template like above and then have a toolbox. The toolbox would have stored scripts such as username, date, version number, recent posts and we can therefore customise our own newsletter without having to know the code