The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Advertising Banner System

Geek Advertising Banner System GAB is a highly configurable banner management system for vBulletin.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-20-2007, 03:36 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default Opt Out Option...

Correct me if I'm wrong or missing something here but there seems to be a flaw in the opt-out option.

I'd like to set it up so that my mods and subscribing members can opt-out of ads. Seems like it's easy enough to set up but it requires a profile field?

I can't see any way to control profile fields by usergroup so if I add a "turn off ads" profile field every user will see it, includeing the ones who can't turn it off.

James
Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Yes, every user will see it (unless you tweak the template or create a hook) however only those with the correct value AND in the correct usergroup will have it take affect.

For instance, all your members can set Turn off ads to yes, but they will only go off for the usergroups you have specified.

HTHs
Old 03-01-2007, 04:31 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Ok, well take this in the spirit of a suggestion to make your product the best it can be, ok?

I can easly make the changes necissary to only show this profile field to certain groups, but I'm a profressional software engineer and know my way around vb/php.

I think this needs to be made easier for every user. The way I see this feature being used most often is that an admin sets up (through the vb paid subscription feature) a "supporting member" group. These people pay for special groups, features, etc. Getting rid of ads would be a huge draw for that sort of thing.

So, it should be easy for an admin to set this up so that either:

1. Only users in the "subscribed" group can see the option or
2. Anyone can see the option but it is grayed out for those without access with some sort of "Subscribe to remove ads" message.

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
Yes, every user will see it (unless you tweak the template or create a hook) however only those with the correct value AND in the correct usergroup will have it take affect.

For instance, all your members can set Turn off ads to yes, but they will only go off for the usergroups you have specified.

HTHs