The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 08-26-2005, 03:19 AM

Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 
Default [implimneted]Not in forums....

I would like to suggest that the articles be a seperate script and not tied into a specific forum. I am trying to market my site with a number of features and I am trying to avoid things that just add more forums.

Cant wait to see what you come up with!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

hmmm. These are tied to a forum

However its much more versatile. I wouldnt see why you would want normal posts and article mingled into the same forum. It would be impossible for the fancy threadbit I use in forumdisplay if that were the case.

Maybe I just got you wrong
Old 08-27-2005, 02:06 PM

It's easy enough to set the category as non displayed, then place a link to the articles in the navbar or where ever you choose.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 AM

I guess I am just thinking of wanting a seperate product fully integrated with VB. In the end what we need is a complete company review/rating system and it needs to be more "all inclusive". We need the ability to add special fields (ie we want to include website, contact info, etc, for every company we put a rating / review up for.)

My thougt was that this will hold us over until we find the full solution. If its all mixed in with the forum its just another thread but if it were its own system it could do more in the future.

Another example...... EVERY single review we have will need to have the ability to rate the company on: A) product quality B) Customer Service C) Reliability. Nothing more, nothing less. Every review will also include: Company name, contact info, etc etc. I dont think the standard newthread interace will cut it for us. We want each bit of info in its own field in the database and not just part of a "thread".
Old 08-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The interface isnt the standard new thread

Try creating a review in the testing gounds section.
There are other stand alone solutions - however the strength of this one is that it uses vB as the back end.
Anything you can do with a post or thread you can do with this (unlike stand alone systems)
Old 08-29-2005, 06:01 PM

Hrmmm odd......

I will need to:

1) Have a different logo for every single company review (the poster should be able to add the companies logo when posting)
2) Have the same options for voting for each (Product Quality, Dependability, Service)
3) Have NO "Author Rating" - only member ratings averaged in.
4) Change the current rating system to a school type lettering system but still average it out. (Ie a company may have, A for service, B for Reliability, F for Quality, etc)

Will this be possible? The bigger question is, will you have time for any custom hacks / freelance work? I like your work and am ready to pay to make my site have what it needs to make me an income. My site is my full time job so I need to be constantly adding new things.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:47 PM

1 - Well, users can upload their own logo which resizes to desired dimensions - so I guess thats cool.
2 - done
3 - This isnt built in however it would be pretty simple modification of GARS. Heck you could simply comment out the author review.
4 - THis would be a pretty easy modification. SImply set the minimum vote to 1 and the max vote to 26 (whole numbers only). THen at run time translate the number to its corresponding letter.

ALl of it is either built in or possible - however I couldnt commit myself to anything in the near future. Heck - im out of town for a week then come back only to go out of town again (for a few days). Couple that with the manic drive to get everything out of beta (which some things arent really even in beta yet!) and you can get a picture for how swamped I am.

Id be more than happy to help - but if the project would REQUIRE me custom coding - then it would be a little while before I could get to it