The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 12-20-2006, 08:35 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default GAL 5.0 Beta 3 Release Discussion

I have uploaded GAL 5.0 Beta 3 to the download areas for active license holders to play with. Please note that this is a beta and contains known issues and as such, should most likely not be used on a live site. Please read this thread for important information on this release.

This release addresses many known issues with GAL 5.0 and starts to reintroduce the standard (and enhanced) feature set. The changes are FAR too freaking numerous to mention, so instead I will opt to highlight some key changes and then follow up with important installation/upgrade information.

I have (know on wood) squashed the empty regexp error that plagued many with the previous release (thanks to Flea) I found the bug that seemed dependant on your server configuration.
I have reintroduced the ability for usergroups to toggle GAL on/off via a custom field.
I have reintroduced the ability for GAL to track impressions (though you still cant view them)
I have tweaked crap loads of the code.

Key areas still not totally functioning:

The ability to view stats
I think the moderation queue currently sucks so I am redeveloping it.
The rebuild content doest really do anything anymore because I have changed the way GAL 5.0 evals the content
Quick reply DOESN'T show GALS even though it caches results for future use. This is due to a limitation in initialising javascript content via Ajax (I cant do it without a vB file hack). I currently see no way around this - just know that it is working, though you wont see GAL results on that post if it is displayed via AJAX.

Important upgrade info:

Please note that once you upgrade I would run admincp-> gal ->maintenance->rebuild post cache. Depending on the size of your DB this could take awhile, however it will greatly speed up your GAL processing.

Also note that the default regexp has been updated. I would suggest editing it and clicking save to rebuild your regexp cache.

I have introduced a new setting for which scripts GAL should initialise on. This is found at the bottom of your settings page. There is an option to initialise on showthread pages (a yes/no option which I recommend is set to yes) and a textbox where you can add additional scripts for GAL to ini on. At this stage, I would leave the textbox blank and set the showthread option to yes.

As ever PLEASE LORD post bugs in the tracker and leave this thread for release discussion.

nJoy
Old 12-20-2006, 11:52 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Seems to work now with opera, if I'll have some bucks left will buy it.

Only Test: GARS
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Installed and running on our testbed. None of our 4.8 entries are working under 5.0 B3 atm. I turned Showthread pages to on and rebuilt post cache but still nothing. Our testbed server is Windows running apache though and it caused an odd pathing in the:
"Server path to images" setting even though the value box is set to "C:\wamp\www\geek\ gal \images" the value listed on the left under the "Server path to images" is "C:\wamp\www/geek/ gal /images".

Not sure if the problems I'm seeing is due to the disparity between our live and testbed environments or a problem between GAL 4.8 and GAL 5.0 B3. Let me know if you want to see it and I'll PM you acp info... Obviously it's our testbed, so I couldn't care less about FIXING it, just wanted to offer it if it's useful to you .

James and Susan
Old 12-21-2006, 02:07 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

Excellent!

Will upgrade tonight and see if it fixes the couple of problems I was having with b2.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 AM

Tigratrus - if you can PM me admincp details it would help. My dev box is a local win box so it shouldnt make a difference.

THanks
Old 12-21-2006, 03:26 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default I had no luck.....

I spent the whole night trying to get running GAL 5 B3, with no luck, I followed all instructions, turned show thread on, rebuild post cache, etc.. the links are not showing,neither the pop up box.

What am I doing wrong?

PS: Pls give us GAL5 running as a x'mas present to all of us!!!, be our Santa
Old 12-21-2006, 03:36 PM

Tigratus - I have enabled the cateogry option for selecting which forums the category should show in. Each category had no forums - therefore none were displaying. The next problem was that your vbulletin options for the site URL wasnt right, so the gal .js file wasnt found. I changed those things and they are working now.
BTW - One of your categoryies had several usergroups that could toggle the category off if their 'doors' (or whatever it was) profile field was blank. I put in a value there so you know where to change it.

HTHs

Im trying gqueio if you get me your admincp details Ill have a quick peek. Please note my parents are coming from the states to spend a week with the family around x-mas so try to get the info in today as my time will be cramped over the next 10 days.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:29 PM

Ahh... I need to write myself a cheat heet for fixing the settings on our testbed. I had pulled a fresh copy of the DB from Live -> Test in the process of trying to get GAL 5 B3 loaded and running (another mod blewup when I installed GAL 5 B3, it was a beta of a *non* critical mod, so i figured I'd wipe it and get a fresh snapshot of the DB). I must have forgotten to update that to reflect the change in pathing... Thanks for looking at it, sorry to waste time chasing down a config error.

We had GALs turned off for many of our forums as we're still in rollout mode. But you said that they were ALL off? That's odd. I'll have to play with that a bit...

The toggle on and off part is just something that we haven't gottent ot yet.

Thanks again... We'll play with it and post if we find any new issues.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:39 PM

No problem, its a very common error and I wanted to post the solution in the thread for others that are having a similar problem. If I remember right, it wasnt even plugged in in earlier betas. There are also a couple more issues Im working with another user on. I may actually have a minor update tonight as Im trying to get everything squished before beddy bye.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:39 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder 

So satisfied was I after testing locally I have installed it on the live site
Great stuff boss, thanks.

p.s. all that remains is the code snippet to make vBAdvanced recognise GALS