The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Auto-Linker

Geek Auto-Linker GAL automatically links keywords that users type in posts to advertising hover pop-ups.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 09-06-2005, 08:17 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 
Default [b]My thoughts on the GAL

THE GAL installed fine, with no problems whatsoever. After saving the phrases everything woked as advertised. I think it would be nice to have the suggested standard replacements already added by the installer, so nobody misses that step. After a nifty installer like the GAL has one would expect that all of that muss & fuss would have already been taken care of, but no matter. I assume that part of the reason that The Geek wants you to add these yourself is to get the hang of how the GAL works, but it would be nice to have those replacements added as an option in the install process.

Again- I think it would be nice to have a more thorough description, or a "best guess" type of example, or even a screenshot included of all of the settings filled in on a working site.

I really like the feature that allows the GAL to add an auto-link anywhere, not just in showthread.php, but I think it would be handy to have the GAL have a setting that enables recording of impressions on a page other than showthread.php by clicking an option, rather than adding "persist_gal_impressions();" but this is pretty trivial.

Sorry it took me a while to get around to this, but I wanted to give it the attention it deserved, and I just now got a free moment, and I will post more as I get my hands in to it more.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Hey Yoyo,

Thanks for the feedback.
1- With this version for vb3.5, you dont need to save phrases. You may have to refresh your admincp after copying files over and importing the product.xml
2-The replacements and styles are already added with the vb3.5 version (I just double checked with a fresh install)
3- Most of the settings information is found in the readme (though most of that was taken from the vb3.07 version). In theroy, no settings even have to be made to start using it.
4- persist impressions is called automatically at the end of all scripts just in case. With earlier versions, you had to do this, but now its done for you. This may be old info in the readme.
5- I am looking at changing the hook location to a bbcode handler so that it in fact is called anytime BBcode is parsed. That way it should work literally everywhere. Right now its hooked into postbit creation so that whenever a postbit is called (posts, PM's etc..) it gets gal 'ed.

Just out of curiosity - was this an upgrade?

Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Just looked at making it parse during bbcode creation and the only problem there arises when post text gets cached. When that happens, it bypasses GAL which would give pants results. Looks like it will have to stay in the postbit creation. The cool thing though is that its only 1 function call to GAL any other text anywhere else (ie CMPS home page). Persisting happens at the end of every page if applicable as long as that page accesses global.php
Old 09-07-2005, 02:09 AM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geek
Hey Yoyo,

Thanks for the feedback.
1- With this version for vb3.5, you dont need to save phrases. You may have to refresh your admincp after copying files over and importing the product.xml
2-The replacements and styles are already added with the vb3.5 version (I just double checked with a fresh install)
3- Most of the settings information is found in the readme (though most of that was taken from the vb3.07 version). In theroy, no settings even have to be made to start using it.
4- persist impressions is called automatically at the end of all scripts just in case. With earlier versions, you had to do this, but now its done for you. This may be old info in the readme.
5- I am looking at changing the hook location to a bbcode handler so that it in fact is called anytime BBcode is parsed. That way it should work literally everywhere. Right now its hooked into postbit creation so that whenever a postbit is called (posts, PM's etc..) it gets gal 'ed.

Just out of curiosity - was this an upgrade?

Thanks again!
No- it was a new install, and like an idiot I had the ACP already open in a new window - that was my mistake. I went through the read me, assuming it was up to date - no wonder it all seemed so odd . Looks like you covered most of my concerns/problems. Too bad the BB code thing didn't work out, but I am sure it will work just fine in the postbit
Old 09-13-2005, 03:22 AM

Just a few quick thoughts based on feedback I am getting from users- when a popup window includes a link the popup disappears when they go to click on a link. I tell them to right-click, but they seem to forget. I think that a popup window that contains a link should have the link at the top of the popup window, where the mouse already is, or the dhtml window should stay persistent until the cursor leaves the box, or maybe the popup could have a message at the top that says "right-click on mouse to select a link" or something like that.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:06 PM

hey yoyo. Im not 100% sure I understand what you're after.

You want the popup to stay open even after a new window is open?
You want a link at the top of the popup box? (put $url in your description)

Am I on the right track? Sorry - a bit shattered from the weekend!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
hey yoyo. Im not 100% sure I understand what you're after.

You want the popup to stay open even after a new window is open?
You want a link at the top of the popup box? (put $url in your description)

Am I on the right track? Sorry - a bit shattered from the weekend!
when they mouseover the auto-linked word a popup box with the info appears, and if the link is at the bottom of the info box, or anywhere other than at the very top, once they move the mouse they are scrolling off of the word and the popup disappears. The only way to get to the link is via a right click, which keeps the popup open. If the link is at the top of the popup box then the clickable link works without right-clicking to get to it. See what I mean?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 PM

The popup is popping away BEFORE they can get to mouse over the box?

Is this with FF? Are your URL's underlined?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
The popup is popping away BEFORE they can get to mouse over the box?

Is this with FF? Are your URL's underlined?
yep- the problem is in firefox, and the URL's are underlined in the popup box.

Last edited by yoyo; 09-13-2005 at 06:43 PM..
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM

Im looking into a fix for FF. I think there is a fix posted round here for FF in the meantime.