The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 02-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 
Default forums/geek/gars/mods/action - folder not there?

I'm trying to add a custom module and following the manual, it says to put the .php file in the forums/geek/gars/mods/action folder, but as you can see from the attached thumbnail, there is no folder of that name. We're still on 2.1.2 - is this a change since that version? If so, where would I put the file in 2.1.2 to create this module?

Am I being an idiot about this? If so, my apologies, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where to put this.

Susan
Attached Images
File Type: gif ftp_screenshot_gars_question.gif (8.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

The tutorial was most likely written before 2.x was introduced.

Before then, each 'stage' of a modules life was seperated by if statements (i.e. if ($stage=="display"){....}elseif ($stage=="edit"){...)

In 2.0, those stages are now seperate files without the if($stage) logic.
In other words, the code that would execute in the if($stage=="display"){} section is now simply in the modulename.php file residing in the mods/display folder.

Not sure if I muddles things up there or not
Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Yes, I am now completely muddled and befuddled. Given that the tutorial is out of date, how to upload a module in 2.x.? I'll do a search and I'll be back here if I can't find anything. Thanks for the clarification on the tutorial, though...nice to know I'm not insane.

Susan

Last edited by Tigratrus; 02-16-2007 at 06:03 PM..
Old 02-16-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Clarification:

We're trying to add a module to display a paypal "Buy it Now" button. We'll get more sophisticated another day but for right now we've setup a GARS forum to display the handful of items we're offering for sale (Ironically, we have a full blown shopping cart system, VPASP, but integrating it is just too much trouble and our site no longer supports ASP anyway). Basically we've got everything else setup in the GARS sets... And we just need to add the paypal botton html to a module so that it can be added.

We tried just adding the paypal button in the body of the post with HTML turned for this forum in the ACP and it wouldn't parse the html. We thought we might beable to sidestep that by adding it as a module, hence what we're trying to do here.

I *did* find the right folder to drop in the module file if we can figure out how to wrap the php around the html right, for anyone else looking it's:

forums/geek/gars/mods/display

James

Last edited by Tigratrus; 02-16-2007 at 06:38 PM..
Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Sorted it!

Ok... Looks like the root problem was vBulletin itself having a problem with the paypal button html <form>. We used the email link that's provided as an alternative to the <form> and attached it to the simple button image as a straight forward html anchor. That parsed just fine.

I've got the module registration down I think, though no guarantee I won't be back to pester you for help when/if I actually *do* need to put together a custom module.

So umm... Nothing to see here. Move along. This is not the problem you're looking for...

James
Old 02-18-2007, 03:21 PM

lol . Glad its sorted