The vB Geek

Go Back   The vB Geek > vB Geek Products > Geek Article and Review System

Geek Article and Review System GARS is the mega popular system for turning forums into articles, tutorials, or even reviews.

Advertisement
This is an HTML example. Isn't it just wonderful?!?!
  Learn how to remove ads

Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Default Custom Fields

Hi,

Ive had a look at the wiki on how to create custom fields, however it comes up with an error.

Id like to create a custom field that allows the user to input the following information:

Contact Name:

I want this to be optional information, so if a person only fills out the Contact Name and Contact Number then the Location box wont show.Alternativly, if they dont fill out any then none of them will show.

Ive had a look around, but a bit stumped at the moment.
If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Edit - Also once ive created a custom field - It comes up with "GARS3" Where abouts do I need to insert this to get it to show when someone is creating a new "Club/Group"

Last edited by powerful_rogue; 01-07-2008 at 11:09 AM..
Old 01-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Use Custom Fields to add custom fields. Go to Modules, pick the module of interest, add Custom Fields where you want them to show, click the Custom Fields link that appears afterwards, select Yes to those custom fields of interest, save, and then go to Types, pick the modules set, and tick the custom fields you want.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Thanks Morgan, That works great.

Is it possible to create mutiple text boxes under one custom field?

I want to create:

Group Contact: Enter Name
Contact Number: Telephone
Location of Meetings: Address

At present the only way I can see of doing it is by creating a custom field for each, but then when its being displayed it will look silly as you'll have a large box for each as shown in the attachment.

Id prefer to have them all shown in one box so it looks tidy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contact.JPG (6.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Geek Article and Review System License Holder GeekMart License Holder Geek Auto-Linker Pro License Holder Geek Advertising Banner License Holder Geek Gazette License Holder 

Custom fields should show in one box unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks Morgan.
Ive worked it out now and its going great

Last edited by powerful_rogue; 01-09-2008 at 08:42 AM..
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM

One quick question if you dont mind Morgan,

Ive set up another "Web Address" custom field for my "Clubs/Groups" section but made it "Not Required" as im guessing not all local clubs/groups will have a website.

It works great if you put the web address in, it grabs the snapshot and such like, however if you dont put the web address in it shows as in the attachments.

Would there be anyway of altering it, so that if a web adress isnt entered, it dosent show those custom fields (numbered 1 +2) in the pictures?

Also, is it possible to have an "Upload Image" - So that if no web address is entered, it will show the image uploaded where the snapshot shows, however if they do input a web address it shows the snapshot instead?

Last point which im guessing wouldnt be possible, but no harm in asking! If the do upload a picture and input a web adress - Is it possible to give the member an option as to which they would like to show as the picture? Ie, the snapshot of the website or the upload picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (16.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (3.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (13.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by powerful_rogue; 01-09-2008 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: forgot to add attachments!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Seems you want to change the default behavior of the add-on. For that you'd probably need to edit at least some of the snap.php files, not something for support but maybe something to consider for a future version, or consider using a 'Thumbnail to URL' custom field instead.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks Moragn.

At the moment if you dont put in a website, it now comes up with the "preview not available" picture. If I used an if conditional somehwhere would it work to not display the web address button if no web address has been entered?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Untested but you could try adding the bold red bit to the /geek/gars/mods/display/snap.php file:
Code:
if (THIS_SCRIPT == "showthread" && $post['gars_snap_www'] && $post['gars_snap_www'] != 'http://')
Please note that custom edits are not something for support but maybe something to consider for a future version.